Beat Entry Level DSLR

Well, Canon is AFAICS the better video DSLR; however keep in mind I dont actually do much video myself, nor do I use a Canon DSLR - I'm just repeating what I keep hearing from others.

That's what I've heard about as well. I just can't decide what is more important between the two cameras!

That's what I've heard about as well. I just can't decide what is more important between the two cameras!
It has been pointed out that there isn't much difference between those two entry-level bodies, but what you're really buying into at this point is; you're buying a SYSTEM of cameras, lenses, and accessories. It's harder to switch brands once you've invested significant money in another system.

Its simple. If video is the priority, then go with Canon. If still photography is the priority, then go with Nikon. Not to say Canon is worse at still photography because it isn't, but that's just the way I see it. But most importantly is how the camera fits and feels in your hand, button layout, menu system. Like noted earlier, your not buying a camera..YOU are buying into a system. And don't let peer pressure become a deciding factor.

Any thoughts on the Sony A6000? I used one a few months ago as a second shooter and it is an interesting camera for its price range. I did not get a chance to shoot any video with it but the camera did a great job in low light settings with a modest lens.

Well I am going to go find a place where I can try them both and see which one I like more. From what you guys have said it seems most important that I forget about the difference in specs.

People on here can (and do) quote specs and test scores until the cows come home. Bottom line is which one feels better in YOUR hands. Go someplace that has both (a brick and mortar camera store bring the best choice if available) and play with them. See which you like better.

Before I got my first one I had my heart set on a Canon. I read reviews, poured over specs, and so on. When I finally had enough money saved up and went up the store to get it....I hated the way it felt in my hands. Ended up getting a D90 because it just felt better in my hands.

Because I also want a camera for photography.

makes sense, photography requires a camera

I prefer Canon for the image quality, lens selection, etc. but the other brands work

I've got a friend who does a lot of YouTube videos. What he finds is that when the camera is on a tripod and he's self-recording video, the focus system is the biggest issue. He has to focus and make sure he remains at a consist distance from the camera (a bit of a challenge.) This is because most DSLR cameras cannot do continuous auto-focus during video (or if they do, they don't do a very good job.)

This is because the impressively fast focus system on most DSLRs is based on using "phase detect" AF sensors which are on the floor of the camera (not on the sensor.) The reflex mirror has to bounce light into that sensor -- but when shooting video (or liveview) the mirror swings clear of the image path ... no phase-detect AF. This leaves the camera with "contrast detect" AF (which it can do on the sensor) but this involves focus-hunting and is slow (during video you visibly see the camera trying to guess it's way to sharper focus and this is very distracting.)

Years ago Canon started developing a technology to solve this. It uses micro-prism on the sensor to create what they call a "dual pixel AF" system directly on the sensor surface. You get the capabilities of phase-detect AF even when shooting live-view or movie mode.

Some of the G series (advanced point & shoot models) were the first to get this. The Canon EOS Rebel SL1 got an improved version. But more recently the Canon 70D, then the 7D II, and then ultimately even the T6i have this new system.

The SL1 has a 2nd generation version of this focus system. The 70D, 7D II, and T6i have an even more evolved system. But considering most cameras have nothing at all... this is a huge advantage for shooting video.

When shooting your own YouTube videos, you have the luxury of controlling many factors... including lighting. ISO and DR won't be a problem (or shouldn't be -- if they do, you have to blame yourself.)

I think that for your particular purposes, the auto-focus system during video will be a huge factor. Next in line is the lenses -- and Canon has the advantage in that department too. Canon now offers a number of lenses with their "STM" focus motors. These motors are EXTREMELY quiet. They developed for video because cameras (particularly when using the built-in microphone) could hear the noise of the focus motor. The STM lenses make almost no noise at all (some lenses can't be heard at all... some lenses can be heard but you really have to struggle to hear the focus motor.) Another nice advantage of these lenses with the new STM focus motors is the optics. These are consumer-grade lenses and, as such, the optics usually don't compete with the higher end lenses that cost considerably more. Canon redesigned the optics when they upgraded their standard consumer lenses to the STM version of the lenses and the optics got a big upgrade.

One last factor is that when you buy an entry level Nikon (like a D3300) the camera relies on the lens to bring it's own auto-focus motor to the party. Higher end Nikon bodies have a motor built into the body OR can use lenses that have their own focus motors. On the Canon side, the focus motor has always only been in the lens. This means all Canon EF lenses will autofocus on all Canon EOS bodies. But on the Nikon side quite a number of their AF lenses can only auto-focus if they are on a Nikon body that has it's own autofocus motor (and if you're like most YouTube'rs then you record your videos solo (no camera operator) and that means you MUST have auto-focusing lenses. This changes things because the Nikon AF-S lenses that have their own focus motors cost more than the AF lenses that rely on in-body motors. Canon has a "nifty fifty" (50mm f/1.8 lens) that costs about $100. Nikon has a fairly inexpensive 50mm f/1.8 lens too... but it requires the body have it's own focus motors (the D3300 does not). Nikon does have a 50mm that can auto-focus with the D3300 body -- but it costs about twice as much. If affordability of the camera system is a factor, the price and quality of lenses you might realistically want to use becomes a factor.

This is not to disparage Nikon gear. Nikon makes a LOT of VERY impressive gear and I believe that ultimately the skill of the person holding the camera is a more important factor. But given your specific desire to use a DSLR for YouTube video recording AND not wanting to buy a dedicated video camera (because that ultimately would be better) because you still want to be able to shoot good stills -- and given your price/budget constraints (which limits you to entry-level bodies) -- the SL1 is probably your best bet.

If money weren't an issue I could think of a lot of cameras I'd rather use -- but unfortunately money usually is an issue.

Canon all the way, especially if you're going to be doing vlogging type stuff. While their sensors aren't necessarily the best (now anyways), they have the dual pixel AF, quiet STM lenses, and I believe their video mode has more functionality than Nikon's. I'm not sure if that's changed.

Thanks for everyone's input! After holding the two cameras in my hand and messing around with settings I found that I liked the canon much more. I'm going to go with the Sl1, not only for the STM lenses, but for some lenses I can buy off of friends and borrow. This was a huge help in making my decision.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

I've got a friend who does a lot of YouTube videos. What he finds is that when the camera is on a tripod and he's self-recording video, the focus system is the biggest issue. He has to focus and make sure he remains at a consist distance from the camera (a bit of a challenge.) This is because most DSLR cameras cannot do continuous auto-focus during video (or if they do, they don't do a very good job.)

This is because the impressively fast focus system on most DSLRs is based on using "phase detect" AF sensors which are on the floor of the camera (not on the sensor.) The reflex mirror has to bounce light into that sensor -- but when shooting video (or liveview) the mirror swings clear of the image path ... no phase-detect AF. This leaves the camera with "contrast detect" AF (which it can do on the sensor) but this involves focus-hunting and is slow (during video you visibly see the camera trying to guess it's way to sharper focus and this is very distracting.)

Years ago Canon started developing a technology to solve this. It uses micro-prism on the sensor to create what they call a "dual pixel AF" system directly on the sensor surface. You get the capabilities of phase-detect AF even when shooting live-view or movie mode.

Some of the G series (advanced point & shoot models) were the first to get this. The Canon EOS Rebel SL1 got an improved version. But more recently the Canon 70D, then the 7D II, and then ultimately even the T6i have this new system.

The SL1 has a 2nd generation version of this focus system. The 70D, 7D II, and T6i have an even more evolved system. But considering most cameras have nothing at all... this is a huge advantage for shooting video.

When shooting your own YouTube videos, you have the luxury of controlling many factors... including lighting. ISO and DR won't be a problem (or shouldn't be -- if they do, you have to blame yourself.)

I think that for your particular purposes, the auto-focus system during video will be a huge factor. Next in line is the lenses -- and Canon has the advantage in that department too. Canon now offers a number of lenses with their "STM" focus motors. These motors are EXTREMELY quiet. They developed for video because cameras (particularly when using the built-in microphone) could hear the noise of the focus motor. The STM lenses make almost no noise at all (some lenses can't be heard at all... some lenses can be heard but you really have to struggle to hear the focus motor.) Another nice advantage of these lenses with the new STM focus motors is the optics. These are consumer-grade lenses and, as such, the optics usually don't compete with the higher end lenses that cost considerably more. Canon redesigned the optics when they upgraded their standard consumer lenses to the STM version of the lenses and the optics got a big upgrade.

One last factor is that when you buy an entry level Nikon (like a D3300) the camera relies on the lens to bring it's own auto-focus motor to the party. Higher end Nikon bodies have a motor built into the body OR can use lenses that have their own focus motors. On the Canon side, the focus motor has always only been in the lens. This means all Canon EF lenses will autofocus on all Canon EOS bodies. But on the Nikon side quite a number of their AF lenses can only auto-focus if they are on a Nikon body that has it's own autofocus motor (and if you're like most YouTube'rs then you record your videos solo (no camera operator) and that means you MUST have auto-focusing lenses. This changes things because the Nikon AF-S lenses that have their own focus motors cost more than the AF lenses that rely on in-body motors. Canon has a "nifty fifty" (50mm f/1.8 lens) that costs about $100. Nikon has a fairly inexpensive 50mm f/1.8 lens too... but it requires the body have it's own focus motors (the D3300 does not). Nikon does have a 50mm that can auto-focus with the D3300 body -- but it costs about twice as much. If affordability of the camera system is a factor, the price and quality of lenses you might realistically want to use becomes a factor.

This is not to disparage Nikon gear. Nikon makes a LOT of VERY impressive gear and I believe that ultimately the skill of the person holding the camera is a more important factor. But given your specific desire to use a DSLR for YouTube video recording AND not wanting to buy a dedicated video camera (because that ultimately would be better) because you still want to be able to shoot good stills -- and given your price/budget constraints (which limits you to entry-level bodies) -- the SL1 is probably your best bet.

If money weren't an issue I could think of a lot of cameras I'd rather use -- but unfortunately money usually is an issue.
Thank you so much for all of this detail!

I was going to buy it in store but then I went on B&H and saw that I wouldn't have to pay sales tax which would save me a lot of money. Would it be better to buy it in store even if I'm paying a lot more. Also, with B&H I would get a bag and SD card shipped with it.

Technically, your state would like to collect the sales tax, even though internet sites often don't collect it for the states.

If the sales tax represents a "lot of money", consider that your local store may be your first point of contact in the event of a problem, and therefore the difference in the cost might seem insignificant relative to the hassle of dealing with a store ouside your state.

As to the bag and SD card; the bag will become too small fairly quickly, and the local store might be talked into throwing in an SD card at no additional cost.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back