Beat Entry Level DSLR

gdude2307

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have beend looking into entry level DSLRs for photography but mainly for video on my YouTube channel. I am having a really hard time deciding whether to go with the the canon SL1 or the Nikon d3300 (I am open to other cameras in the same price range). The only reason I am debating is because my friends have lots if canon lenses that they could lend me and share with me. Plus my friend is bias to canon so I can't really get any input from him. Can someone give me their input on which is the better decision for my needs? Thanks.

One often hears about friends who say they will loan lenses to a person who actually owns NO camera....as a way to sway them to that camera brand. What happens in reality though is that most people will not let a friend borrow a lens...because unless they own a LOT of gear, they'll always feel like they "might need that lens." so...seriously...your friend is most likely, to use the old expression, full of it.

Based on 40 years of experience: Don't expect squat as far as having HIS or HER lenses actually entrusted to your care...

Yeah..your friend has lots of Canon lenses...so try this-- ASK your friend, the one with lots of Canon lenses, how often he will let you borrow WHICH, exact lenses, and for how long, and how often. I mean seriously...TRY having the talk with him...if he appears really generous, then suggest to him that the two of you draw up an agreement, on paper, with say, "A few specific details in writing." See what happens.

I definitely get what you mean, however my other friend actually frequently borrows lesmes from my other friend for large amounts of time. Plus, because we work together on the YouTube channel it makes him more willing to share because it is benefiting him if we have better videos. Another thing is I am going on a long trip this summer with my friend. We would be able to swap lenses and borrow eachothers while together.

Plus, I can't really afford more than a kit lense right now.

Best option is to always go to the store and play with them to see which suits you better. Or even go and play with others in your price range! Explore other cameras that aren't in your budget!

Realistically, there isn't much to say on one system over another at that price point. But at any price point, it'll come down to what matters to you, personally. Both are great systems, both have their pros and cons. I'd suggest doing a fair amount of research before committing. Speaking of just that, remember that you're buying into a system. Look at available lenses and other things like external flashs that you MAY want in the future.

I shot on Canon for years, but always hated their button and wheel layout. Back in I think it was 2005, I switched to Nikon. Infinitely more comfortable to me. But the thing is, EVERYTHING IS A TRADE-OFF. Again, it's all about what matters to you. I'll take size over portability any day of the week. Shooting comfortably has become very important to me, especially in this past year where I've experienced quite a few issues with my hands. Turns out I have localized Fibromyalgia. Yeah. Comfort over weight for me. But that's me. You may think differently.

I have extensive experience with both cameras you're looking at, and though I'm a Nikon guy, I'll never tell someone to buy Nikon gear just because. I actually really like Canon gear as well. My ex-business partner used two of the SL1's for her shooting. To be honest about the SL1, It's a VERY fun camera to shoot on...but it's tiny. If you have bigger hands, you'll hate it. I have, I suppose, normal sized hands. I wear size large gloves. I borrowed one for a day and after a day of shooting on it, my hands were cramped! My partner was a woman...5 feet all. Tiny hands. She was comfortable with it.

My wife uses the D3300. While it's still small, it's not uncomfortable after a long period of time.

Both cameras have great image quality. I won't complain about either.

Last edited:
The SL1 is a very good piece of gear IMO.

DPReview Gear of the Year Canon Rebel SL1 EOS 100D Digital Photography Review

The entry level Nikon is also very good; Recommended Cameras

Either is, however, somewhat of an overkill for youtube IMO.

Anything more than a Canon S110/120 or a similar pocket sized "enthusiast" camera is more than sufficient for youtube videos.

What other uses would you have for the camera beyond youtube? Why would you need additional lenses for a youtube video?

Can someone give me their input on which is the better decision for my needs? Thanks.
I'm surprised Derrel didn't point out the differences in the sensors in each respective camera.

Frankly, the prospect of borrowing a friend's lenses is not the most ideal factor in helping you to decide. If he really does, and wouldn't mind if you had it for a week at a time, then good for that, but I envision that such repeated borrowing may jeopardize your friendship in the long run.

Have a look at the respective sensor technology in each camera to find out which one is the most recent design.

Also have a look at the lens selections available to each camera body. The Nikon will mount any Nikon F mount lens, even though some may not focus automatically on an entry level camera.

Then look at the lens reviews and make up a prospective "wish list" of lenses that you may intend to own someday.

Any entry-level DSLR will suit your needs.
They are all essentially the same.
What differences there in entry-level DSLRs are are nuances only experienced photographers will be aware of, or even care about.

Well the ISO performance and frame rate for video is significantly better on the Nikon D3300

I was considering that too but the main decision I can't make is canon vs nikon

I don't get it! Why would one want to use a DSLR to shoot Youtube video?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back