Beauty is in the eye of the beholder C&C

Diffuser

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Interesting subject. Had a lot of fun with it today, but so difficult to get it right in PP.
I like his hairstyle though ;-) Any suggestions are more than welcome.

Camera Model: Canon EOS 60D, Flash Used: No, Focal Length: 70.0mm (35mm equivalent: -214...
Exposure Time: 0.0006 s (1/1600), Aperture: f/4.0, Focus Dist.: 1.49m, ISO Equiv.: 100
Whitebalance: Auto, Metering Mode: spot, Exposure: aperture priority (semi-auto)

Beauty_1.jpg

Nice headshot (he's a Maribou Stork by the way!).

Great close up, but the tilt isn't working - he's at an odd angle. Tilts on animals almost never work because animals are never tilted (they'd fall over!). The overall exposure is pretty good, but it could maybe do with a contrast boost.

Nice headshot (he's a Maribou Stork by the way!).

Great close up, but the tilt isn't working - he's at an odd angle. Tilts on animals almost never work because animals are never tilted (they'd fall over!). The overall exposure is pretty good, but it could maybe do with a contrast boost.

I wasn't aware of the tilt in relation to animals and how others would experience this in a picture, so this is excellent feedback for me to research! Thanks for your suggestions.

Also, just as an afterthought, if you'd shot it straight his beak would have created a nice leading line from the bottom left to the top right, right up to his face. In this shot, his beak cuts the shot vertically in half. :)

Is it Maribou Stork in English or Marabu Stork? For this instance I'm suddenly insecure as to how it is spelt... :scratch:
And I like the focus - but I'm with Forkie as to the tilt. Cool hairstyle! :D

Judging by the amount of hair that is in focus and the OOF of the beak, you have missed focus by a fit

dofh.jpg

Also, just as an afterthought, if you'd shot it straight his beak would have created a nice leading line from the bottom left to the top right, right up to his face. In this shot, his beak cuts the shot vertically in half. :)

I see what you mean. For illustration and learning purpose, this is the max rotation to get a better line up. Of cause the beak is now cut, but you are so right, it looks so much better when it's from bottom left to top right!
Thanks, amazing ;-)

Beauty2.jpg

Judging by the amount of hair that is in focus and the OOF of the beak, you have missed focus by a fit

dofh.jpg

Thanks for taking the time and verifying my settings, calculate and post this! It's exactly what I was wondering about the beak.

In real life when things go fast, how do you make sure you get this exactly correct? (49/51) seems so close, but yet, far away in result.

I think this one would go in with intelligent design

Although I agree that the tilt is not natural, it kind of adds a humorous touch to the picture. I think it is a great shot overall.

Most reactions

Back