Bee in a Bush

Lowrider

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is one of my more recent favorites. Be interested in your critiques.

Nature_Favorites_-_1.jpg

I very much like it, the only thing I would ask for would be a little bit more depth of field so the back of the bee was also in focus, but that can be hard to achieve on photos like this. Besides that, I think your title is very fitting, describing how the photo makes you search for the bee adds a "fun" element to it :)

24mm FL, F4.6 Aperture, 1/1250 Shutter, ISO 200

WHY?

Why not lower the shutter significantly.. and stop down the aperture to get more DOF? Why are you trying to do Macro with a WA lens?

Was this actually a shot of the bee.. or was it a shot of the bush that you later noticed the bee was on?

The bee is really soft, and OOF. As I have been taught from my insect photography mentors (you know who you are ;)) You want to do a really tight crop with bees photos. More like this, although it is not perfect lol

bee feeding by blackrose1981, on Flickr

Listen to Cgipson, he really knows what he's talking about.

24mm FL, F4.6 Aperture, 1/1250 Shutter, ISO 200WHY?Why not lower the shutter significantly.. and stop down the aperture to get more DOF? Why are you trying to do Macro with a WA lens? Was this actually a shot of the bee.. or was it a shot of the bush that you later noticed the bee was on?
Perhaps he used thise settings because he is a beginner. And hey, this just happens to be the beginners section of the forum.

I don't think he was being unfair, just honest. Before him and Lightspeed's help, my bee photos looked like this
bee.jpg

24mm FL, F4.6 Aperture, 1/1250 Shutter, ISO 200WHY?Why not lower the shutter significantly.. and stop down the aperture to get more DOF? Why are you trying to do Macro with a WA lens? Was this actually a shot of the bee.. or was it a shot of the bush that you later noticed the bee was on?
Perhaps he used thise settings because he is a beginner. And hey, this just happens to be the beginners section of the forum.

Well golly.. I would have never guessed that! Thanks for enlightening me. And maybe I was asking WHY.. to see if he had any clue about this.. so that I could then assess where he is, and attempt to assist as possible!

But since you see fit make a rather SmartA$$ comment your very first post... I will say this... at least I am attempting to help.. what are you doing??? :)

I'm just pointing out the face that the OP doesn't know any better right now. I've had hundreds of students over the years that were far worse than this.

Yes.. I know that... what am I supposed to do, tell him how great they are and give him a big sloppy kiss? My questions were meant to make him think... and maybe ask some questions. I didn't know that the process was going to get interrupted..

Hundreds of students, huh? Really? Are you a PRO? Websites, and all that? I would love to check out your work! Maybe you can make me a better teacher.. lets see who you are, and what your credentials are?

This is NOT a forum for thin skinned people and the users know that. People can be very blunt and condescending. I don't neccessarily feel that is right and have made it known that I don't more then once, but it is what it is and I have learned a lot here. Above was just an honest criticism. He didn't even say the photo was horrible, just pointed out it's faults and asked why. What's wrong with that?

20plus, I would really like to see youre photos! Not being sarcastic I'd really like to see :)

Well golly.. I would have never guessed that! Thanks for enlightening me. And maybe I was asking WHY.. to see if he had any clue about this.. so that I could then assess where he is, and attempt to assist as possible! But since you see fit make a rather SmartA$$ comment your very first post... I will say this... at least I am attempting to help.. what are you doing??? :)
The professional, and instructor in me knows how to deal with people new to photography. It's overwhelming, and being condescending does not help. But that's probably just your style and who knows, it probably works. I will try your approach next time a student turns in their big blurry blob of a homework assignment.

I have been accused of being helpful once or twice... and been accused of being an A-Hole too... but not usually buy the people I am trying to help.

So 20plus what would you suggest to the photo above :) , again not being sarcastic, just curious

Cgipson1, do some research on me. My screen name and location are clues. A website doesn't make you a professional. I do not have one and never will. My work is seen and appreciated live, not on the Internet. I've followed this forum for a long time, and some people here are very talented. I just thought I'd join to fill some of my time and help out.

Cool.. glad you are here! Hopefully we can get past this "phase".. and I can get back to trying to help someone! :)

You are welcome to chime in, of course.. and if you have a better, gentler technique that works... good. I will willingly step aside for those people that need that type of help.

But my assessment technique will probably not change much.. (

Guys cool it off with the attitudes.
You're all trying to help someone who, thus far, hasn't had a chance to get a word in edgeways. Each accept that others help in different ways and let them get on with it. Focus more on your own ways to help others.

Sorry Over... just kind of blindsided me. And with the recent Vandal scenario and the like, maybe I am a little oversensitive to this type of thing from someone we don't even know. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back