Beef Stew With Bell Peppers And Red Wine

redbourn

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
best-food.info
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am moving to a really wonderful place in 10 days so my focus has been on lots of different things.

But I decided today to have another go at improving my lighting.

I like the result, but please be honest.

Beef Stew With Peppers And Red Wine

Serves 4

Prep time 10 min
Cook time 2 hours 10 min
Total time 2 hour 20 min

Ingredients

2 lb, 900g stewing steal, cut into 1",2.5cm pieces
2 large bell peppers, different colors, seeded and cut into medium sized chunks
1 1/2 lb,700g potatoes, cut into bite sized chunks
1 large yellow onion, cut into chunks, it will break down in the stew
5 cups beef or beer stock, or vegetable
1/2 cup dry red wine or substitute
1/3 cup tomato paste
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
3 cloves minced garlic
1 tbsp butter or oil if you don't want to use butter
1 tsp fresh chopped thyme or1/2 tsp dried
1 tsp sweet paprika powder
1 tsp crushed whole peppercorns
1 bay leaf
Olive oil to liberally cover the bottom of the pot
Salt and pepper to taste

Sprinkle beef with the salt, pepper and flour and toss to thoroughly coat the beef.
Heat oil and butter over medium high heat, in a pot large enough to hold all the ingredients.
When hot, add meat and brown on all sides - about 5 minutes- then remove to a plate with a slotted spoon.
Add bell peppers, onions and garlic to the pot and fry for 5 minutes until softened, scraping up the browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
Add red wine and bring to a rapid boil for 2 minutes.
Return beef and all remaining ingredients to the pot, with the exception of the potatoes.
Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to very low and simmer, covered for an hour.
Add potatoes and cook for one more hour and until meat and potatoes are tender.

* for wine substitute check page xxx
* tossing meat in a paper or plastic bag makes it very easy.
beef stew with bell peppers and wine.jpg

Looks a little dry for a stew, Nice pic though.

Looks a little dry for a stew, Nice pic though.

Looking at the photo I felt the same :-(

Photos for recipes are so difficult and especially if you're a newbie photographer like me.

There was plenty of liquid but I didn't want it to look like soup ....

Do you ever try the food photo tricks? Like a mist of lacquer for wetness and use the ingredients, but not actually cooked together so you can control the color and texture of each piece better?

I can see the liquid in the bowl, but the beef pieces seem to have dried before the pic. Most photo food isn't edible any longer after its been made. Raw seared beef, sometimes colored, it's really horrible what they do to make food look really good.

I wish you the best of luck. At least the recipes sound like they would taste good. :)

Do you ever try the food photo tricks? Like a mist of lacquer for wetness and use the ingredients, but not actually cooked together so you can control the color and texture of each piece better?

I can see the liquid in the bowl, but the beef pieces seem to have dried before the pic. Most photo food isn't edible any longer after its been made. Raw seared beef, sometimes colored, it's really horrible what they do to make food look really good.

I wish you the best of luck. At least the recipes sound like they would taste good. :)

I have watched vids and read about the tricks but I have a kind of aversion to doing it.

After I take my pics I eat the food.

In some ways I think the fake food looks too.
chicken tenders.jpg
perfect.

This is just a shot of my dinner today, shot on my phone.

Does the slightly burned chicken bother you or does it look more natural? More real?

Thanks for the reply.

I want to know where you're moving :)

Where I live now is very nice but the place that I'm moving to is really a fishing village and has a wonderfully intimate feeling.

Only 90 minutes away.

But it has the best surfing in the world (not that I'm going to be doing it) and tourists visit for lots of different reasons.

Not a great vid but it will give an idea.

Where I live now is very nice but the place that I'm moving to is really a fishing village and has a wonderfully intimate feeling.

Only 90 minutes away.

But it has the best surfing in the world (not that I'm going to be doing it) and tourists visit for lots of different reasons.

$500 a month

https://www.dropbox.com/home/new house

I know Aveiro a little bit, and I have been to Nazare, though that was a very long time ago. I used to live in Braga. I still miss it. :)

Only 90 minutes away.

$500 a month

I know Aveiro a little bit, and I have been to Nazare, though that was a very long time ago. I used to live in Braga. I still miss it. :)

So where do you live now?

Only 90 minutes away.

$500 a month

Back in the States, in the NY metro area. I was born here, but my parents are both Portuguese. I lived in Braga for a couple of years teaching English. My mother's family is in the north (Minho and Tras-os-Montes) so I got to know them a little bit. I go back to visit, though not nearly as often as I'd like.

Only 90 minutes away.

$500 a month

Back in the States, in the NY metro area. I was born here, but my parents are both Portuguese. I lived in Braga for a couple of years teaching English. My mother's family is in the north (Minho and Tras-os-Montes) so I got to know them a little bit. I go back to visit, though not nearly as often as I'd like.

I understand why you miss Portugal !

I have a TESOL and taught English in Brazil, Israel and Belgium.

English now has a serious problem because it is the first second language in the world.

Forget "shall".

Inexpensive and Cheap are now considered the same.

As are hot and spicy, and many more words :-(

English is losing all of it's subtlety.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back