Beer bottle. Need Critique.

dtzitko

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
web.me.com
I actually accidentally came up with the idea for this photo. The accident one wasn't great, but it got the gears turning and I ended up with this. It's going to be for a series of beer bottle photos that I'm going to hang in my kitchen, since I don't really want a bottle collection. So, I need some good C&C here. Thanks!

4491567873_327754d1a1_b.jpg

i like the idea
maybe a little more light on the right

Turning the camera to vertical would have allowed the bottle and label to be shown much larger. This makes little sense as a horizontal composition.

cool pic. what settings did you use and how did you get the background so dark?

Turning the camera to vertical would have allowed the bottle and label to be shown much larger. This makes little sense as a horizontal composition.

I agree, and I should have titled this differently. However, I was really going for just the label here. But I would like to try another with the full bottle, and getting just the outline of it.

Thanks for the input. :thumbup:

cool pic. what settings did you use and how did you get the background so dark?

You guys will probably laugh at this.

For lighting I used a single Surefire flashlight, held by my leg. The bottle was positioned on the armrest of my futon. The room is lit pretty poorly. I used spot metering on the bottle's label with the beam of the flashlight hitting just left of the center of the label.

ISO 200
F Stop 4.8
Exp 1/80

What about focus, exposure, etc? Any comments?

Is it me or is it a bit too bright around the 'b' and the 'o'?

Now that you mention it yes it is. I'd tell you to lower the flash intensity but you're using a flashlight jeje. Try a faster shutter speed maybe? Focus is good. Good job spot metering on the label too.

You can lower the intensity by putting some tissue paper in front of the flashlight lens. If you are just trying to get the labels, then will work, but for the whole bottle, shoot vertical. Also, put a white piece of poster board on the right side of the bottle to reflect some of the light and give a little detail on the shadow side. Great work, and playing with lighting is always fun. Check out Strobist for a lot of info on lighting.

You can lower the intensity by putting some tissue paper in front of the flashlight lens. If you are just trying to get the labels, then will work, but for the whole bottle, shoot vertical. Also, put a white piece of poster board on the right side of the bottle to reflect some of the light and give a little detail on the shadow side. Great work, and playing with lighting is always fun. Check out Strobist for a lot of info on lighting.

Great comments. Thanks a lot.

i think its beautiful just how it is! the darkness suggests something about the nature of the beverage but the light shows maybe some hope??

Most reactions

New Topics

Back