Before & After old photo

This is what I ended up with, and it prints well. I can't quite make the ink appear quite so *transparent* as it did when the original print was finished. And it is ink hand painted with a fine brush, and your's is almost definitely the same.

Like yourself I didn't wish to go too far. With a lack of *fresh* prints of the era it's difficult to know just what it's supposed to look like and so there's a real danger that we will restore it to modern aesthetics and our memory of modern prints. And then it would be neither as it would resemble neither. I wasn't too concerned with the edges, in fact I tried to avoid a totally sharp and clean edge as I felt it just wouldn't sit right on an old print.

The original is part of Sandra's family history and is back in the drawer to preserve it, (the date gives away some of the history). The copy now hangs in the family farmhouse where it belongs.

Hope your's will be back on display as well.

:)

_DSC4210_sRGB_med.jpg

This is what I ended up with, and it prints well. I can't quite make the ink appear quite so *transparent* as it did when the original print was finished. And it is ink hand painted with a fine brush, and your's is almost definitely the same.

Like yourself I didn't wish to go too far. With a lack of *fresh* prints of the era it's difficult to know just what it's supposed to look like and so there's a real danger that we will restore it to modern aesthetics and our memory of modern prints. And then it would be neither as it would resemble neither. I wasn't too concerned with the edges, in fact I tried to avoid a totally sharp and clean edge as I felt it just wouldn't sit right on an old print.

The original is part of Sandra's family history and is back in the drawer to preserve it, (the date gives away some of the history). The copy now hangs in the family farmhouse where it belongs.

View attachment 178802

I like how the blacks are rich in the edit. Sharp yet still has the vintage feel. I edited an old 80yo photo for my SIL's grandmother. It was her on a pony and there were pieces missing. I was careful photoshopping in what I thought should be there, but not taking too much liberty. She was very happy with the result. That was her one photo from childhood. I find it relaxing to edit old photos.

I did a color edit as a gift to my husband of his favorite photo. I guessed on the colors and he said they were correct. Printed & framed the color version. I took out the hand because colorized I couldn't get the tint just right and looked less creepy ;)
KeithBoatbeforeafter.jpg

@CherylL Dejuvu on the hair in the last one. LOL I have a picture holding my daughter with the same hair.

I stumbled across this little program Tim, sometimes it works ok but it`s only random guesswork by the program. Although once you downlaod the result you still have the option to play around in post with it. ColouriseSG

colorized-image (1).jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back