Beginner at Macro - First few shots with a "Real" Macro Lens

keith204

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Maybe next time I'll have some better photos to share. I really need to pay attention to lighting quite a bit more. These were taken with a Canon 100mm f2.8 Macro. I am intrigued by the annoyingly-shallow depth of field when shooting macro.

IMG_1306.jpg

IMG_1329.jpg

IMG_0272.jpg

IMG_1312.jpg

For some strange reason I had to edit this photo:

IMG_0272copy.jpg

However, when I uploaded it, the colors got desaturated so it didn't change it much. I love the colors in the photo. Keep it up!

Maybe next time I'll have some better photos to share. I really need to pay attention to lighting quite a bit more. These were taken with a Canon 100mm f2.8 Macro. I am intrigued by the annoyingly-shallow depth of field when shooting macro.

Lighting for macro work can be just as complex as it can for high-end studio portraiture (but generally not as expensive). A good selection of diffusers, reflectors and adjustable lights are needed, and, ideally if you can, a good ring light.

I feel like I absolutely wasted this perfectly good macro lens. It could have gone into some hands that would use it to its full potential, but no...it got stuck in mine! I'll have a blast, and will get better pictures once I learn lighting and find things outside of my house to take pictures of!

The image of the eye is stunning. I have an Akita that this shot reminded me of. Is that a dog or ????? I think you did a great job for first timing it! The frog and the DOF is very cool and artistic. I like the angle you shot it at (up and under). Good work - I look forward to seeing more! - Cat

lol... is that poo in shot #3 or german sausage?

i like the frog the best....but the dof is so shallow the tip of his mouth is out of focus.... get used to this problem at wide aperture 1:1.... sometimes with a subject like that I will pull back to 1:2 or just alter the composition so the entire head is in focus... or of course stop it down...

i find the biggest challenge of macro to be focusing non static subjects.... i use a monopod because i can get in quicker but it makes locking in a sharp picture a lot harder... i barely even have to use the focus ring at 1:1 just breathing holding the monopod will bring me in and out of focus...

enjoy your lens... it's great fun!

The (dog?) eye worked really well!
It takes time to get used to a new lens so don't beat yourself up about it - give it a good month using and you will be far more comfortable with the lens.
As for the depth of field - don't be afraid to go down to f13 or further for macro

edit - Battou is right - a good tripod certainly helps - also if you are photographing static objects use mirror lock-up in your camera (look in the manual) that will help reduce camera shake when taking photos. If you don't have a remote to triggor the shutter use the timer instead (with mirror lock up on it defaults to a lower count - something around 2 seconds)

It takes time to get used to a new lens so don't beat yourself up about it - give it a good month using and you will be far more comfortable with the lens.
As for the depth of field - don't be afraid to go down to f13 or further for macro

edit - Battou is right - a good tripod certainly helps - also if you are photographing static objects use mirror lock-up in your camera (look in the manual) that will help reduce camera shake when taking photos. If you don't have a remote to triggor the shutter use the timer instead (with mirror lock up on it defaults to a lower count - something around 2 seconds)

F13??? holy smokes I have to start experimenting with my macro more... I rarely stop it down past F4 unless i have a monster of a subject...

:shock: I rarely leave it open past F11

I am curious as to why we have this discrepency...

Do you shoot mostly static?....

Do you always use off camera lighting?...

Do you find you still get a creamy shallow dof to isolate your subject?

me? hobbyist with no off camera flash shooting most critters (as sabbath would say) with the shallowest dof i can away with....

Last edited:

But be careful, most macro lenses start to get softer once you stop down too far. Ideally somewhere in the f11 range, but every lens is a little different.

Most reactions

Back