Beginner Camera?

endofnight

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello all.

I am not a professional photographer. I just really enjoy taking pictures. That being said I want a camera that can take AMAZING pictures. I would describe myself as a "beginner" photographer.

The camera I use now is a Canon Powershot A530. You can see it here:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-Digital-Camera-Optical/dp/B000EMU888]Amazon.com: Canon PowerShot A530 5MP Digital Camera with 4x Optical Zoom: Camera & Photo[/ame]

I am looking for a great camera that can take amazing pictures. So far I am very impressed with the Canon 5d Mach II. The HD video quality blows my mind! The pictures are equally impressive. I won't lie. The fact that this camera can take HD video is a big part of why I want it!

This is an expensive camera. I have no problem saving up the money for it. I just dont want to waste a bunch of money when I can get something equally as good for a lower price. Also, I have read about a beginner who bought a 5d mach II and it took them 9 months to learn how to to use it! Would it be "right" for a beginner like myself or is there another camera that can take equally amazing pictures for cheaper?

I would basically be using this camera for EVERYTHING. Taking pictures of my friends, concerts, nature, still objects, portraits, my 6 year old niece running around, etc...

I would greatly appreciate any information. Thanks for your time.

All cameras work the same way, they just have buttons in different places.

No camera makes AMAZING photos, just the same as no gun ever killed a person.

Pick a lens system that you like, probably Canon or Nikon, and then buy a camera that fits on them.

I suggest the Canon t2i. It costs $800 and you can get a 50mm lens for it for $89. As a beginner it will be easy for you to learn on and as a hobbiest you are never going to out-grow it.

Having said that, I'll repeat, all cameras essentially work the exact same way. If it took someone nine months to use a 5D, it would have taken just as long to learn a $300 Canon XS.

Any camera is gonna be a beginner's camera so long as a beginner is using it.

I will suggest the Nikon d5000. HD video capable and about half the price of the 5d. Not to say the d5000 is as good as the Canon 5d, because it isn't, but it does have some nice features, especially for the price.

It has the same sensor as the Nikon d90, which has a very similar sensor to it's "big brother" the d300, so your optically quality will be top notch. The d5000 also has good high iso capability.

The build isn't as good as the 5d's though and the 5d is full frame. But if your main goal is to find a good camera to learn on that has hd video and can take great pictures, the Nikon d5000 is more than capable.

^ a canon suggesting a Nikon :O
lol.

I would basically be using this camera for EVERYTHING. Taking pictures of my friends, concerts, nature, still objects, portraits, my 6 year old niece running around, etc...
Think again.
If you think you will be allowed a foot in the door to a concert with a DSLR think again.
You could apply for a press pass but other than that, no chance.

Also, a Canon 5D MII, Really?
If you have the money, I suppose, why not.
but can you REALLY justify the cost of it + lens' (which you would be wanting to use L lens otherwise the camera body would not justify itself (lens' are as if inot more important than the body.)
L lens' range from about £800 - £6000 or more.
but these lens' are top quality optics,

and no camera will make AMAZING photos, you do. there is no magic formula, you have to learn to use it.
if you plan on taking snapshots, DO NOT BUY A DSLR (or expensive one atleast.)
Sony do some nice Bridge (hybrid) cameras that could suit you better.
and you even have a chance of getting that into a concert.

Fuji has a bridge camera that is so tiny, it will fit in your pocket, but the quality is amazing.
(aunt has it.) and the zoom is not too bad.

Sam6644-So you think I should go with the Canon t2i because it is easy to learn? Would it take me considerably longer to learn a 5d mach II?

Deannamb-You were no help at all. Thanks though. :)

iAstonish-Thanks for the info. The Nikon d5000 sounds like a nice camera. I'm looking more into it. Are there any cameras in the Canon line similar to the d5000? They dont have to have HD video.

UUilliam-When I said concerts what I really meant was punk shows and house parties. I go to Alot of concerts where the band does not care and the "club" owner or whoever could care less. I'm not talking about sneaking in this camera into a U2 concert.

Why a Canon 5d mk II? Well, Like I said before it would be nice to take pictures and HD video of my friends, nature, still objects, weddings, animals at the zoo etc... with an AWESOME camera. While I agree that the quality comes from the person taking the picture, you cant seriously tell me that a picture from the 5d mach II and a picture from a Canon powershot have the same quality. That simply can't be true. If it is, I apologize because then I am truly ignorant! :)

Why not buy a DSLR for taking snapshots? Are you telling me that people using a 5d mach II only take pictures if they can set up a tripod and take their time etc...? Not trying to sound stupid. Just curious.

Can you point me the direction of these Sony Hybrids you are talking about?

Lastly, two of your statements seem to contradict one another:

"no camera will make AMAZING photos"

and

"Fuji has a bridge camera...the quality is amazing."

Would appreciate any more info anyone has for me. Thanks again for your time. I appreciate all the help so far!

It wouldn't take you any longer to learn on a 5DMKII, but the 5D would be a complete waste of money for someone looking to take photos as a hobbyist.

It would be like somebody who only plays golf one time a year buying a set of $10,000 golf clubs.

Samm6644-This whole conversation is turning into a mess. I just want a great camera to take pictures with. It seems like when you start talking about high end DSLR's people look at you funny unless you are a "professional." I may be missing something here but I just dont get it.

Well, either way thanks for your opinion. I'll be looking into some lower end cameras.

Last edited:
Ok, after checking out the Canon t2i I am pretty much sold! looks like a great camera and the HD video looks awesome.

Anymore suggestions?

People dont look funny when you say you want a 5dmii because your not pro, it is because, the 5dmii has a higher level of use than a 500D /550D (T2I)

Also, my comment did not contradict.

An Amazing photo vs Amazing quality is different.

an amazing photo consists of composition, exposure, colour, subject etc...

quality = sharp, good noise, good colour and stuff like that.

Top 10 Bridge cameras ? gadget reviews ? Stuff.tv

I mixed up panasonic with sony, sorry.

You simply wont justify the cost of buying a 5d + lenses

I say, go with the canon 500 or 550D and buy a few "cheap" lenses (i say cheap as they still cost a lot but not as much as L lenses.)
a good one is the 50mm mkii 1.8, kit lens and a 70 - 300 mm USM (all them together cost about £500 = total spend ~ £1000-£1300

Also, Professional doesnt mean you use a tripod ;)
I never use a tripod.
i am not professional either mind you.

It wouldn't take you any longer to learn on a 5DMKII, but the 5D would be a complete waste of money for someone looking to take photos as a hobbyist.

It would be like somebody who only plays golf one time a year buying a set of $10,000 golf clubs.

I don't think that's a very good analogy...

I would say it's more like a person who 'just drives around town, and to work and back' buying a Mercedes.

Yes, it's way more than you need - but it's still really nice to have, and you can use it every day.

Some people want to 'waste' their money on nice things.

And yeah - a 'better' camera won't really be harder to learn on... It might even be easier. Still, the difference would be negligible.

Canon and Nikon are both exellent brands. Take the time to hold each one in your hands.

For me Nikon's just felt right. The canon models did not. Its a personal preference for sure. Just the way the butons are laid out and size of hands.

Wow, really?

Well, let's get real. If you want to spend $2,400-$2699 on a camera body, as a beginner, get a camera that is suitable for a beginner. You want video capture capability, which is understandabkle, but in my experience, the Canon 5D line has very weak light metering and weak autofocusing when used by inexperienced users...and even with an experienced shooter behind the eyepiece (me, 30+ years), the autofocusing of the 5D-II is weak. I think the Canon 5D series of cameras are designed to be used by experts, and that the camera does not have enough automation or high-tech 'stuff' to make a good beginner's camera.

A better camera to use as a high-end point and shoot would be a Canon 7D, for $1500 for the body, or the Nikon D700, also around the $2,450 mark, like the Canon 5D. Both are more high-tech, and suitable for beginners.

Nikon has a much more logical and **consistent** (from mode-to-mode) way to control camera settings than Canon bodies do. I see no problem with a beginner buying a higher-end camera, like the Canon 7D or Canon 5D Mark II, or the Nikon D3 or D700...if you buy any one of those fine cameras, your investment will be serving you for many years to come.

The full-frame cameras like the 5D-II and Nikon D700 have much bigger,larger viewfinders, so seeing what tyou are shooting is easier with the FF cameras. People drop 30-40 grand on a car all the time...why not spend $2,500 on a decent camera???

Most reactions

New Topics

Back