Beginner ( Do we need Zoom Lens )

canonsl2

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
If i a beginner photography do i really need zoom lens instead of regular lens include when buying camera >>

Thanks @@@@@:1247:

What will you be photographing? If wildlife, your camera bag will soon feel incompetent without a zoom.

There is a reason that zooms have replaced primes.
It is more convenient.

With computers, the optical performance of zooms are MUCH better than they were in the 1970s.
With digital cameras and higher ISOs, the slow speed of a zoom is not the penalty it was in the film days.

Having said that, there is nothing wrong with shooting with a prime lens. That is how it was done for decades.

You are probably talking about a telephoto lens. As dsqcanada said, almost every kit lens is a zoom. But every zoom has a limited range. I would go with what you have at the moment until you find out what your preferred subject is in photography. Maybe you'd rather like to go ultrawideangle instead.

18-55 mm regular zoom,

55-250mm sale saparately>>

i only take photo scence when go trip or park
dont know i need it or not /

What kind of photo would you like to take? Is it more landscape with a wide field of view, or rather animals, portraits of people,....

18-55 mm regular zoom,

The 18-55 is just fine for a normal every day lens for shooting stuff close to you.
If you want to shoot something in the distance, then you would want the magnification of the 55-250 or 70-300.

18-55 mm regular zoom,

The 18-55 is just fine for a normal every day lens for shooting stuff close to you.
If you want to shoot something in the distance, then you would want the magnification of the 55-250 or 70-300.

will picture brake if using zoom 55-250 ???

i dont like take picture zoom , quality less original /

If i a beginner photography do i really need zoom lens instead of regular lens include when buying camera >>

Thanks @@@@@:1247:

Once upon a time, the "kit" lens that came with a camera would be a non-zoom lens (aka a "prime" lens is any lens that has a fixed focal length... it does not "zoom") and that lens would provide the "normal" focal length for that camera.

The "normal" focal length is the one where the focal length is the same as the diagonal measure of the film plane or digital sensor.

For an APS-C camera such as the Canon EOS SL2.... that would be about 27mm. I don't think you could find a 27mm lens but there are 28mm lenses.

Anything "shorter" will appear to have a wider than normal angle of view. Anything longer will have a narrower angle of view.

But most cameras that come with a "kit" lens these days will include a "standard zoom". This is a general purpose lens. The most common is the 18-55mm ... it provides a moderately wide angle up through a moderately narrow angle (but nothing extreme in either direction). It tends to get along well in most common situations but it is not a specialty lens (you wouldn't use it to shoot wildlife hundreds of yards away... or a sports game, etc.) But it would work well for landscapes, basic portraits, family events, etc.

One more thing... these "kit" lenses are usually designed with affordability in mind. They aren't particular expensive. But that also means the capabilities of the lens are pretty basic. Paired with the right lens and the knowledge of how to use... the camera can do much much more.

18-55 mm regular zoom,

will picture brake if using zoom 55-250 ???

i dont like take picture zoom , quality less original /

The lens is just fine for most uses.
If you "pixel peep" then most any lens that you can afford will have flaws.

If you don't want a zoom then don't get one.
But today is not like the 1970s. You won't find many prime lenses to choose from.

There are still a lot of prime lenses. Looks like near every focal length you could want. Canon Primes.

Yes a lot, but many are not what I consider affordable lenses. From 300mm on up they are over $6,000. You have to look at both the pro L-series and the affordable non-pro lines.

Missing are 85, 135, 200, 300 in non-L lens. These used to be common focal lengths back in the old film days.
Actually for non-L there is nothing above 100mm. You have to go to the L-series lenses for anything over 100mm.

This is where we used to go to the many 3rd party lens guys: Vivitar (the current Vivitar is a different company), Soligor, Lentar, Tamron, Kenko, etc. Today I see only Sigma (which seem to be going up market) and Tamron.

If you mean “why do I need a zoom lens, when a simple prime (fixed focal length) telephoto lens will get me pictures of small things at a distance, and a short prime (fixed focal length) lens will let me photograph bigger things up close?” then I can answer that from my point of view (no pun intended). It’s all about visualization and composition. I use a zoom lens to frame a composition I see before me. This composition may be a long way away, and make up just a small part of my entire field of view at the moment. Why do I not just walk closer to the composition? Because the elements that make up the composition would likely change their relative positions as I did so and “ruin” the composition. Simple as that. This was vitally important in the days of film, when the final image had to be perfect and perfectly framed in every way.

You never "need" a zoom lens. I know photographers who never use them. I know others who use only zooms. Zoom lenses are a convenience, which let you have multiple focal lengths in one lens, and shoot wide angle, normal, and telephoto, with only one lens. Walking around with your camera, and an 18-300mm zoom is easier on you than is carrying your camera, and a half dozen Prime (single focal length) lenses. However, zooms will always produce less sharp images than will Prime lenses. If you want the sharpest possible images, use Prime lenses, and put up with the hassles of carrying multiple lenses. Buying a zoom with your camera lets you become accustomed to shooting various focal length images, and decide which you like best. Zooms are fine for small print (3x5", 4x6", 5x7") snapshots for your family photo album. For larger art prints for photo contests, sales as magazine covers, posters, etc, use Prime lenses. You can use zooms for professional shots, and many do, but the same shot done with a comparable Prime lens will always be a bit better.

Most reactions

Back