Beginner ( Do we need Zoom Lens )

Yes a lot, but many are not what I consider affordable lenses.
non-L there is nothing above 100mm.
I agree but a affordable was not a criteria.
As for the Non L above 100mm. Longer lenses NEED quality glass. Crap get magnified as well as the good. Long lenses cost. No way around it.

I find the 18-140 zoom to be an almost ideal "walking around" lens. The 10 -20 and the 70-300 sit in the bag for quick access.

That is my 80/20 lens. The lens that is used 80+% of the time.
The only thing, is that it is a slow lens, so it struggles with night sports under lights and gym sports. But for daytime work, it is GREAT.

I am new to this too. Here is an example of why it helps to have some sort of zoom on hand if you are shooting scenery. I took a picture of a beautiful little pond with some Geese on it this past weekend, this pic - Pond
Decided to zoom in on the Geese and got this - Zoom on Geese

The camera was a point and shoot Canon SX10-IS on a monopod. Quality not bad on this zoomed picture I have had ones that had terrible quality because I had to zoom too far and/or didn't have a tripod/monopod available. but I captured some interesting things that I may have otherwise not captured. I learned a lot from the answers that were posted. Thanks.

Last edited:
I have a Canon 1300d and I always use my zoom 75-300mm lens. As Shane mentioned about the composition. It works for me.

you can put any lens you want. the lens police won't show up and arrest you.
my travel kit consists entire of zooms.
an OMD EM10 III with a 14-42EZ and 40-150R
neither are the best lenses but produce sufficient quality for instagram, facebook and 8x10 prints.

Most reactions

Back