Beginner ISO perfect starter Canon. WWYG?

The classes I am taking you must have a Canon.
?????

Never heard that one before.

What exactly can a Canon do that a Nikon or Pentax could not ?

I would also simply outright refuse to get forced into a system this way. Free choice of system is the holy birthright of a photographer.
You're totally right! But I've always been parcel to Canon. I've had a Canon point and shoot that I loved and a good friend of mine that is a photographer and she actually shot my wedding and all my girls major life events (so far :) ) recommend that I get a Canon as well.

As recommended by a spokes person for Canon.

59302821.jpg

You're totally right! But I've always been parcel to Canon. I've had a Canon point and shoot that I loved and a good friend of mine that is a photographer and she actually shot my wedding and all my girls major life events (so far :) ) recommend that I get a Canon as well.

Buy whatever feels best to you. Recommendations are great but, not necessarily unbiased. Best part is both make some great gear so you cannot go wrong either way.

This is usually because the person teaching the class(es) only knows Canon.
and can't help the students if they use something else - normally with the menus, camera features, etc.

This is also common in other areas such as musicians going to college where the professors recommend a specific brand or two. Simply because that is what they were taught on and the "tone" is what they perceive as a good tone versus other brands. ie, they know what they can accomplish with a specific instrument to a specific tonal quality and how to achieve it.

Sometimes you just have to go with the flow.

and can't help the students if they use something else - normally with the menus, camera features, etc.

This is also common in other areas such as musicians going to college where the professors recommend a specific brand or two. Simply because that is what they were taught on and the "tone" is what they perceive as a good tone versus other brands. ie, they know what they can accomplish with a specific instrument to a specific tonal quality and how to achieve it.

When I was in high school we were told to only buy the Casio version of a scientific calculator. there was one or two people who had Sharpe and the teachers would always struggle to understand these units

It's always fairly easy to spend other people's money.

What you are suggested may not be your best option when it is the camera someone else would prefer to own. So take any recommendation- even my own - with a grain of salt.

The current SL1 is Canon's lowest priced DSLR.

It is capable of image quality essentially identical (for all but the most advanced shooter in all but the most uncommon instances) to any other consumer grade DSLR Canon presently produces.

I'll say it again; it is capable of image quality essentially identical (for all but the most advanced shooter in all but the most uncommon instances) to any other consumer grade DSLR Canon presently produces.

The skills and creativity of the user will far surpass the differences in Canon's DSLR camera line after you have used the SL1.

The SL1 menus are somewhat less accessible for fine adjustments - most of which a student will be a long time accessing or are a one time set and forget option - than are the menus found on more expensive Canon DSLR's.

That, IMO, is it's most significant knock.

The touch screen technology of the SL1 though often makes it the more useful camera in many situations.

The SL1 has a fixed LCD screen vs a movable LCD.

How important this might be is completely dependent upon how you prefer to use the camera. The SL1's viewfinder is as good as you will find on Canon's DSLR's IMO.

IMO - and, of course, my opinion has been influenced by what I own - you can buy a SL1 for low dollars and have a base line camera that will take photos as good as your are capable of taking.

You will have money left over for better lenses and accessories which will more than compensate for any technical disadvantages to a "budget" camera.

Shop Canon's refurbished on line site; Canon EOS SL1 18-55 IS STM Lens Kit Refurbished | Canon Online Store

That price is about $150 below typical retail for the SL1 with a kit lens. The kit lens included in that deal is very good.

You'll still have a one year warranty from Canon on refurbished cameras.

$150 will go a long way towards other items you'll want in the future.

All that said, buying on line is often not the best option for a student. If you buy locally, you can find local after-the-sale assistance from a good, local independent camera shop. It will cost you a bit more but such advice and information can prove to be priceless for the average student photographer.

DPReview Gear of the Year: Canon Rebel SL1 / EOS 100D

Recommended Cameras

(BTW, you can buy the SL1 and still afford a Canon "S" series camera. While not a DSLR in the strictest sense, it is a great little carry around, in your pocket "enthusiast" camera with very good image quality and the mechanics of a traditional DSLR. You'll get shots your classmates with the big and bulky DSLR's can't take simply because you can have an S series Canon with you at all times. Just my opinion.)

For her case the canon 70D is a good option, plus shooting video with the dual pixel AF is really helpful.

?????

Never heard that one before.

What exactly can a Canon do that a Nikon or Pentax could not ?

I would also simply outright refuse to get forced into a system this way. Free choice of system is the holy birthright of a photographer.

Then it makes more sense, especially if your friend will let you borrow lenses and other accessories. You can try things out prior to spending your hard earned cash.

When I was in high school we were told to only buy the Casio version of a scientific calculator. there was one or two people who had Sharpe and the teachers would always struggle to understand these units

I agree. It's not limitations of either system, it's the limitations of the knowledge of the professor. Maybe it would be better then to not spend a lot of money if you don't end up liking the Canon.

I agree the "forced product" is a bit weird.... However, I do love my 70d and the touch screen will spoil you.... It is my first DLSR as well and I too take photography in college. A reputable camera shop should help you with a used purchase too. Even a mail order/online place like Procam or B&H, etc can offer nice used gear often with a return policy you won't get off Craigslist or whatever.

Most reactions

Back