Beginner looking for a new DSLR and need advice

Bonclyde06

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone,
For Christmas I asked for money to buy myself a DSLR camera. That money, along with some savings I have from work, has given me about 700 dollars to use and I was wondering if someone could give me any advice on what to purchase. I'm very interested in a camera/lens combination that would allow me to take pictures of objects silhouetted against moonlight at night. I've tried this with my Sony Cybershot but it does not let enough light in to get any pictures at night without the flash on, and that ruins the effect I'm going for. I've read many good things about the Canon Rebel and was wondering if the kit lens would be able to capture images as I wish to do, or if I would have to purchase a lens separate from the camera. Finally, I was wondering if anyone could give me tips on how to go about making a small amount of money on the side from my developing hobby. Any help that you could give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Well I think this is most asked question on this website. Everyone here is gonna tell you one of two things. Either they will tell you to buy their brand camera or tell you to go to a store and find out which you like best? I recommend the second one. I was shopping for a Nikon or a Cannon but ended up with a Sony. 4 your budget the Sony A-100 is in your price range. But it really is best if you try them all out and find which one you like best. if you do a search you can find almost every question you can have has probably already been disgust on here. good luck

Well I think this is most asked question on this website. Everyone here is gonna tell you one of two things. Either they will tell you to buy their brand camera or tell you to go to a store and find out which you like best?

You've been here how long??? a Month? How do you know that this is the most asked question and that people will react in that way???

I'm a Canon shooter... I"ve recommended Pentax on occasion.
There's a few Nikon shooters here that have recommended Rebels over the D40/D40x.

ok.. back on topic

As Happy up there stated, the camera is a very personal choice. You should really go to a store, hold it, and play with it a little prior to purchase. Any of the brands make low end camera that can be made to fit your budget. Any of the cameras can be made to produce a silhouetted subject which is more a function of exposure than camera/lens.

THe canon Rebel is certainly a great camera. I'm not a big fan of the kit lens BUT in your budget buying the Rebel XTi with the kit lens is the quickest path to getting out there and shooting. I personally didn't like the Rebel because the build (plastic) and the UI layout didn't inspire confidence. Remember that is a personal choice of mine (and I shoot with Canon).

My personal favorite for entry level cameras is the Pentax K100D. This is a high bang for the buck camera filled with many features. It is a nice package AND you get backwards compatibility with 30 years of manual K-mount lenses. For someone on a limited budget, the ability to shoot with these older manual lenses can be a great advantage. Disadvantage for Pentax... lens availability will be somewhat limited.

You've been here how long??? a Month? How do you know that this is the most asked question and that people will react in that way???

I'm a Canon shooter... I"ve recommended Pentax on occasion.
There's a few Nikon shooters here that have recommended Rebels over the D40/D40x.
Umm... it's a little thing called a search button! do a search and you will see (and I said probably!!!) 2year old! thats all I read the past month. Oh I forgot from your last smart ass comment YOU CAN"T READ!!!:lol::lol::lol: Grow up little boy

Umm... it's a little thing called a search button! do a search and you will see (and I said probably!!!) 2year old! thats all I read the past month. Oh I forgot from your last smart ass comment YOU CAN"T READ!!!:lol::lol::lol: Grow up little boy

Trust me. If you search my posts, you will know that I'm not a little boy.

Ok back to the OP, going to a camera store and getting a feel for the camera is your best bet. What's good for you may not be the same for others. For example, everyone says don't get a D40x because of the lens limitations, but I on the otherhand, held it and loved it. So that's what I shoot. Good luck.

Thanks for the help, and entertaining squabble too. I'll be off to some camera stores tomorrow I suppose.

I bought my d40...
I love it to death.
But im going to upgrade within the next 6 months probably to a new camera just because its soooo expensive for lenses.
So I dunno what to tell you...
maybe a rebel if you are worried about the lens issue.
Doesn't really bother me i just dont want to spend like too too much on lenses.

Most reactions

Back