Beginner looking for critique

snowthedirtbub

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Took a trip to Europe in June and brought my camera along. This is the first time I really tried my hand at photography instead of just taking snapshots. These are some of my favorites because I find them interesting. One thing I learned going through my photos is that most of my photos are boring, so thats something I'm going to work on next time. Test photos have some minor editing, mainly auto correct/ auto tone/ auto color. Some photos were taken with a Nikon D40 and the others a D5200 with the kit 18-55 lens.

Looking for some C&C.

1) Protests in Berlin:
2014 Europe 1256 by snowthedirtbub, on Flickr

2) Roman Coliseum:
2014 Europe 940edit by snowthedirtbub, on Flickr

3) Pompeii Amphitheater:
2014 Europe 862 edited by snowthedirtbub, on Flickr

4) Eiffel Tower

5)
003 by snowthedirtbub, on Flickr

6) Beach in Turkey
Turkey by snowthedirtbub, on Flickr

7) Notre Dame in Pairs
DSC_0949edit by snowthedirtbub, on Flickr

DSC_0672 edit color by snowthedirtbub, on Flickr

8) Gravensteen in Ghent, Belgium
DSC_0585edit by snowthedirtbub, on Flickr

9) View of Athens, Greece from Acropolis
Athens City Edited by snowthedirtbub, on Flickr

10) Prague, Czech Republic
2014 Europe 2129 edit by snowthedirtbub, on Flickr

11) Protest in Prague, Czech Republic
2014 Europe 2062 edit by snowthedirtbub, on Flickr

12) Cologne Cathedral in Germany
2014 Europe 1786 edit by snowthedirtbub, on Flickr

13) Lock of Love Bridge in Paris
2014 Europe 1751 edit by snowthedirtbub, on Flickr

14)

15) Doors of La Sagadra Familia in Barcelona, Spain
2014 Europe 1141 edited 2 by snowthedirtbub, on Flickr

16) Market in Toulon, France
2014 Europe 1083 edit by snowthedirtbub, on Flickr

Last edited:
For a critique post one or two pictures only.
Here I can say: some nice shots !:D

I specially like #3 because of the texture it creates, very interesting. I also like the colorful peppers. But as Timor says, too many pictures at once and you could number them, it would make it easier!

My bad I won't post so many next time. I may have gotten a little to anxious with wanting feedback. Thanks for the comments!

13 and 14 are great examples as to why selective coloring is awful.
Selective color primarily draws very strong attention to the colored subject, and in 14 we see it does it all on its own. Besides, the red looks great against the beautiful sea of yellow brass. #13 is a crime against #14!

13 and 14 are great examples as to why selective coloring is awful.
Selective color primarily draws very strong attention to the colored subject, and in 14 we see it does it all on its own. Besides, the red looks great against the beautiful sea of yellow brass. #13 is a crime against #14!

That's why I posted both. I took the picture with the intention of doing selective coloring but once I got it on the computer screen I liked the full color better. Wanted to see what others though. Thanks!

Of all these, #11 shows the most promise.

Most of these are, unfortunately, without too much interest.
The center of interest should be well-placed and excess should be trimmed away.
This girl needs more at the bottom and less on the sides and much more sharpening.

aOifqZ.jpg

I like the one of the Coluseum, but I wish it wasn't so close. I think it would look better if you'd gotten more of it, or at least all of the top.

I like the ones of the eiffel tower, but the color one is a little too dark for me. And the black and white version looks like you color selected, but I think it would have looked better with the whole thing black and white, and maybe boost the contrast just a little bit, but not too much otherwise I feel it would be too bold.

Notre Dame is probably my favorite out of all of the pictures.

The Cologne Cathedral shot is really neat to me. I like how you got the full cross in there with the woman by the candles, it looks like you caught a really personal moment and I think that's what makes the picture.

For the lock of love bridge, color selection isn't well liked at this forum. I've learned that the hard way! I personally love color select, but only if it's a person's eyes or something of the like. I would have just done my best at doing a selective blur around the big red lock but try to make the blur look like a natural aperture.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back