Beginner looking for critique

Alex Dumitrescu

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone,

I'm a beginner in photography. Always loved to take photos, edit and then show everyone the world as I see it through my own eyes. Now I got an intermediate DSLR and just started practicing. I feel like the best way (for me) to improve my techniques and style is throw critique (and of course practice practice practice).

I would like to post a couple of photos now and then so you can give me your honest and objective feedback.

I'm going to start with my latest ones:

Dropbox - Sunset and plane.jpg

Dropbox - Toronto from Humber Bay Bridge-9.jpg

Dropbox - Oct 31-7.jpg

Thank you!

1. Hi everyone,

I'm a beginner in photography. Always loved to take photos, edit and then show everyone the world as I see it through my own eyes. Now I got an intermediate DSLR and just started practicing. I feel like the best way (for me) to improve my techniques and style is throw critique (and of course practice practice practice).

I would like to post a couple of photos now and then so you can give me your honest and objective feedback.

Dropbox - Oct 31-7.jpg

Thank you!
    Welcome to the Forum! I’m sure. You will get valuable feedback here, but a lot of people won’t click on links. You’d be better off posting the photos directly to the site.

1. Hi everyone,

Dropbox - Oct 31-7.jpg

Thank you!
    Welcome to the Forum! I’m sure. You will get valuable feedback here, but a lot of people won’t click on links. You’d be better off posting the photos directly to the site.

Thank you! I'll try and resize my next photos. The ones I've uploaded on Dropbox are too big for this website to digest unfortunately.

Possible solution (from what I read on the Web) ... the links you have end with ?dl=0. Change to ?dl=1 or ?raw=1
Use the insert "Image" button/icon to add the URL and change the ending as noted.

Last edited:
Possible solution (from what I read on the Web) ... the links you have end with ?dl=0. Change to ?dl=1 or ?raw=1
Those are dropbox links and I cannot change the extension. Otherwise the address will change and they won't be accessible anymore.

Ah, I just edited my reply to add the note about the image button ...
I just tried it with one of your images ... it shows up in the preview but it is a broken link in the post ... hmmm.

Dropbox Public Folder Shared URL Fix - Lonnie West

Sunset%20and%20plane.jpg

Last edited:
I like the overall scene of the first one. Maybe crop some more of the dead space out. Lights of the city balance the lights in the sky.
The second two really do not do anything for me.

I like the look of the first shot.

Like dxqcanada, the second one does nothing for me personally.

The third one seems flat, and just too much dead space. The skyline is too low in my opinion, and with it being a silhouette of the skyline, there needs to be deth and shadows other places, but the sky seems a little flat. Maybe bring that skyline up to the 1/3 line, add some more contrast or drama to the sky?

I like the photo of the skyline and the jet aircraft the most. It would probably look better as a print than it does on-screen.

I like the look of the first shot.

Like dxqcanada, the second one does nothing for me personally.

The third one seems flat, and just too much dead space. The skyline is too low in my opinion, and with it being a silhouette of the skyline, there needs to be deth and shadows other places, but the sky seems a little flat. Maybe bring that skyline up to the 1/3 line, add some more contrast or drama to the sky?

Really helpful. Thank you!

Thank you so much for all your feedback on the first photos.
I'll go on with the next batch from a trip in Romania, Europe.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back