Beginner looking for help?

5Martyn5

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Im new to the whole photography scene, looking for any help and guidence anyone can give? C&C always welcome :wink:...

Last edited:
The pic is nice. Going down low to the level of the subject is one of the photography basics and you did it right. A few comments though...
- you cropped the top part too much almost clipping the flower. Adjust the frame to give room or space on top.
- color is a bit wash out. Making the green grass a little greener and the yellow petals a bit more yellow would make the flowers stand out.

Im new to the whole photography scene, looking for any help and guidence anyone can give?
That's an extremely broad request. Are you using a digital SLR?

Do you have a good understanding of the exposure triad yet, or are you using the camera in auto, rather than a semi-auto or manual mode?

The visual arts have been evolving for a couple of thousand years now, and it has become apparent that there are certain techniques that produce images a majority of people will enjoy looking at.
So, it's good to study visual image compositional guidelines. You will find some covered here: Guidelines for Better Photographic Composition.

and a broader selection here: Photography Composition Articles Library

or if you prefer a book: The Photographer's Eye: Composition and Design for Better Digital Photos

Making a photograph is about using light. Using just whatever light is available is pretty limiting and accords us little control. So undertaking a study of photographic lighting is a good idea: Light Science and Magic 4/e, Fourth Edition

Having a technical understanding of how a camera and lens wrok can be useful and I have a blog How Do I Use My Digital SLR? that covers some of the basics.

There are also technical aspects related to computers and image editing, things like color spaces and various image file formats like JPEG, TIFF and Raw. So another good source of digital photography tutorials that address some of those topics is found at Digital Photography Tutorials.

All that should help get you started.http://www.cambridgeincolor.com/tutorials.htm

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks thats a great help :D. I know its pretty broad but to be honest, any sort of help or advice would be great and will help me alot, so im not really looking to narrow anything down as such just yet!

My camera is a Pannasonic/lumix DMC G2. I've been playing around alot with it on auto and manual, the picture above was shot on auto.

Cheers for the help!!

Great shoot!

My only advise is to avoid the tree behind.

Most reactions

Back