Beginner needs help...

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Lisa Chapman, Oct 11, 2018.

1. stapo49

stapo49 No longer a newbie, moving up!

I think the problem is when you are starting out you are bombarded with things like " you must always shoot in manual mode", " you should be that good that you never have to edit your photos after you have taken them". What you need to do is ignore all this and experiment with a bunch of different techniques and find what suits you. Perhaps find a style of photography you admire and a photographer and get ideas from them. If you enjoy it the technical skill will come.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Trever1t

Trever1t Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit

Whomever you are quoting is a royal buffoon.

Can good images be created in camera, sure but every really good photographer I know is highly educated in post process.

I suggest you relax a little, slow down. Photography is really very simple if you understand the principles of light and shadow.

Read “understanding exposure”
    Lean about the exposure triangle. It’s so simple ONCE you understand that! Now I wish my camera had an exposure rectangle!

• Like Like x 1
  3. SquarePeg

SquarePeg hear me roar Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Of course it’s ok to edit. They’re your images. Don’t worry about trying to please some other person’s idea of what makes a photographer great. Also, you mentioned a recent drop off in your quality - just wanted to say that when you go from iPhone or dslr on auto to Manual, A mode and are trying to get the camera to creat your vision not just record a scene, there is usually a learning curve where you get “worse” before you see the results of your new knowledge.

4. Nwcid

Nwcid No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Processing and editing are 2 very different things.

Processing is fully developing the image. Editing gets more complicated as it what constitutes "editing" varies greatly.

Well apparently whoever made that quote does understand photography. Also often times not only is editing not a problem, but necessary to create the image you want, or the vision you see in the image. Apparently none of these actual famous images were taken by "good" photographers, https://petapixel.com/2013/09/12/marked-photographs-show-iconic-prints-edited-darkroom/

5. Lisa Chapman

Lisa Chapman TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thank you for this. You are totally right. I need to stop and ignore it all. Start again and have fun with it instead of letting it stress me out like it is. I haven't yet found a style that has jumped out at me but, I do seem to like images that most people find over exposed? LOL. However I will try not to over expose my images!

6. Lisa Chapman

Lisa Chapman TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I do need to relax, I am getting so upset and frustrated with the whole thing. Back to basics I go. Start again, have some fun. I bought a book from Amazon on Digital Photography. I am going to study it like it's the Bible. Thank you!

7. Lisa Chapman

Lisa Chapman TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    That's a great way to look at it! I immediately thought I was just going downhill and there would be no return if I didn't do something about it. When I got my camera a week ago I had so much fun with it, walking down by the river, taking pictures, enjoying just being out and looking around at possible shots I could get. I lost the fun and now it's just depressing me.

Thank you.

8. stapo49

stapo49 No longer a newbie, moving up!

You may be want to start in "auto" mode and work on composition, rule of thirds etc and do some post processing in lightroom or whatever software you have. Then progress from there with aperture priority etc.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  9. Lisa Chapman

Lisa Chapman TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I didn't realize professionals worked so hard in post to create those iconic images. That's encouraging! I have so much to learn. I'm letting it get me down. I need to go back to simple exposure, aperture and shutter speed/ ISO. Thank you.

10. SquarePeg

SquarePeg hear me roar Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    As someone mentioned above, get the book Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson. A great starting point.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Lisa Chapman

Lisa Chapman TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Another one to look up on Amazon! :allteeth:

12. 480sparky

480sparky Chief Free Electron Relocator Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit

This is complete and utter balderdash. I guess even Ansel Adams wouldn't be a 'good' photographer because he edited his images afterwards. (Skip to 5:42 for the jist)

Newsflash for whoever told you that..... EVERY image is edited. Period. No camera takes a JPEG. They ALL use some raw format and edit it..... even in-camera.

• Like Like x 1