Beginner questions..

abhishekdg

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi friends,
Agter coming to U.S from India , got my chance to buy my first ever DSLR. Till date have worked only with film cameras and P&S .. So needless to say I AM EXCITED!!
Now with excitement comes pain of choosing too.. Went to several stores and friends and tried out Canon and Nikon DSLRs..
I don't know if its right or wrong but felt the look and feel of Nikon better in my hands than the Canon .So bottom line, I am gonna go for Nikon.
Now I have tried my hands at some Nikon entry level DSLRs and found both of these mentioned below as just nice :-

Nikon D5100.
Nikon D90.

Here comes the first question:-
Which one would be better and if possible why?
Also am really confused to see so many bundle s available with these cameras over Amazon, Cameta and Buy.com..So many different zoom lens mostly 55-200,55-300 and 70-300

Not sure if these bundle kits are of any good in the long run.. Any suggestion?

As of now I have decided to get a refurbished Nikon camera with 18-55 lens from cameta.com (Any better place to buy refurbished)? Wanna buy refurbished as I feel its more sensible to invest on better lenses..
Get a hang of teh camera and then go for the lenses..

So, please do suggest which would be great lenses for the nikon:-

1. Zoom
2. Macro

Oh!!! forgot to mention I like to do more photography in wildlife, birds and landscapes...

Expecting great help from the great site..

I'd go with the D90 for 2 reasons: It's got more controls which will let you get settings adjusted quicker for different conditions and it's got an internal focus motor for non-AF-S lenses. Also, I'm not a fan of the articulating LCD monitors. However the D5100 has a more advanced sensor that will give you less noise in low light. But the D90 is no slouch with fast glass.

As far as lenses, get the best you can afford. We can't really make a recommendation without knowing your price range.

There are LOTS of zooms on the market and some of the pro-level glass from years ago are still very good, the Nikkor 35-70 f/2.8 for example. Macros are a different story. There aren't that many, but really you don't have to have a macro lens for macro photography. A tele with a decently close-focus distance and an extension tube will let you do a lot.

I have the D90 and LOVE it. I cannot complain. I'm sure you'll get some feedback on your questions, but in terms of a macro lens, I have this Tokina 100mm f/2.8 which is terrific as both a macro lens and a portrait lens. The price is right and the images are tack sharp. Love it.

In terms of used equipment, check out B&H and Adorama:

Here's a refurbished D90 for under $700:

Used d90

Here are some refurbished D90s from Adorama:

d90 - Adorama.com

Tokina 100mm f/2.8 AT-X M100 AF Pro D Macro ATXAFM100PRON B&H

Well thanks a ton guys..
I am just looking forward to get the camera with a single lens as of now. After experimenting a little bit for a couple of months, it will get clearer to me which lens to go for. As of now, only looking for suggestions from you guys.
So, as both of you have mentioned that D90 looks to have the upper hand compared to the D5100. However, its costlier too.
The budget for the lens will be like 600-700 USD or a littl ehigher if I can buy it at a latter stage.
However, if you feel like I wont have much choice in that range, then I would have to go for a bundle of either 55-200 or 55-300 lens.But at first at I want is to get a DSLR and a lens ( a little cheaper one) and test out my abilities and problem areas.

Well thanks a ton guys..
I am just looking forward to get the camera with a single lens as of now. After experimenting a little bit for a couple of months, it will get clearer to me which lens to go for. As of now, only looking for suggestions from you guys.
So, as both of you have mentioned that D90 looks to have the upper hand compared to the D5100. However, its costlier too.
The budget for the lens will be like 600-700 USD or a littl ehigher if I can buy it at a latter stage.
However, if you feel like I wont have much choice in that range, then I would have to go for a bundle of either 55-200 or 55-300 lens.But at first at I want is to get a DSLR and a lens ( a little cheaper one) and test out my abilities and problem areas.

What about buying one through Craigslist?

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/pho/2930073624.html

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/wsh/pho/2884278595.html

Just in case you haven't found this web, check it out: Nikon D5100 vs D90It's at least a startpoint to know the pros and cons of each, and see which ones are more important to you.

Regards,
LizardKing

It does seem D90 has got an upper hand on the D5100.. However, the price is also on the steeper on the side.But do not wanna make a decision in haste as I have been waiting for long to buy a DSLR ..So will be focused on Nikon D90 only.
Now comes the question of what lens to get as a start off. I see many of them have got good reviews on 18-135 mm lens along with D90. Any suggestions?Or should I get the normal 18-55mm lens and later on get a couple of better lenses...

abhishekdg said:
It does seem D90 has got an upper hand on the D5100.. However, the price is also on the steeper on the side.But do not wanna make a decision in haste as I have been waiting for long to buy a DSLR ..So will be focused on Nikon D90 only.
Now comes the question of what lens to get as a start off. I see many of them have got good reviews on 18-135 mm lens along with D90. Any suggestions?Or should I get the normal 18-55mm lens and later on get a couple of better lenses...

All depends. Both will suffice. Do you need reach? If not, the 18-55 is fine and I would look into a a prime like the 35 1.8 or 50 1.8. It all depends.

I think the 18-105 or 18-135 zooms are the best choices for a lightweight,affordable, and reasonably compact zoom lens for a one-lens setup. To me, the D90's viewfinder image is "acceptable", while that seen through the D3100 and 5100 is "terrible". The D90 uses an all-glass pentaprism and has higher finder magnification at 0.63x, whereas the lower-end camera has a penta-MIRROR viewfinder system (lower-cost, lower-quality image seen thru the camera) AND has dreadfully low 0.51x finder magnification.

I wear glasses and have middle-aged eyes, but since I was in my 20's I have ALWAYS shot BETTER pictures with a camera that I can SEE THROUGH easily and clearly.

To me, the ability/inability to see through the finder determines how easy, difficult, or nearly impossible, it is to shoot the photos I want to shoot. For me, the D3100 and D5100 are total non-starters.

Thanks a lot guys!! I am going ahead with Nikon D90. As far as the lenses are concerend , plan on getting 2 lenses :-

1. A prime lens - 35 mm /1.8 g or 50 mm / 1.8 g - Can't decide between the 2 .. Any suggestion?
2. A regular use lens - Nikon 16-85 mm or 18-105 mm lens - Now I know 16-85 is way too costly compared to 18-105 but does it really justify the extra cost? Mostly will be used for landscapes and everyday photography..
Also if aqny other 3rd party lenses are at par to the above one please let me know your suggestion. Want to keep myself open to all options..:)

As I stated above, I love my Tokina 100mm 2.8 macro/portrait lens. A good friend of mine is a full-time pro (the best of the best). He normally shoots high end Canons but he just bought a Tokina wide angle lens and loves it. So, there you go.

I would definitely get the 18-105mm over the 16-85mm

Thanks guys for the inputs..
@jwbryson1,
It seems the Tokina 100 mm f2.8 is a fabulous macro lens. However, I am more looking towards a regular/general purpose lens .. something in the range of say 16/17 - 50. Any suggestion on the same?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back