beginner requesting critique

MHB

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey all, Im new here and relatively new to photography. Heres a few photos I shot on my first few days of having my new Nikon D3100 w/ 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 lens. Let me know what you guys think of em. Thanks!

Attachments

• $untitled1.JPG
    $untitled1.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 66
  • $untitled2.JPG
    $untitled2.JPG
    31 KB · Views: 71
  • $untitled3.JPG
    $untitled3.JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 57
  • $untitled4.JPG
    $untitled4.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 55
  • $untitled5.JPG
    $untitled5.JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 67
  • $untitled6.JPG
    $untitled6.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 65
  • $untitled7.JPG
    $untitled7.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 58
  • $untitled8.JPG
    $untitled8.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 57
I think there are just a few too many. Thorough critique can easily take five minutes per image, and eight images is a lot of work. For the best critique, please limit your posts to a maximum of four image (and fewer is better).

You say you're relatively new to photography. Well, these are pretty good.

BTW: If you are seeking a critque, please post fewer pictures, number them, and tell us what you did or what you are working on. Thks.

A couple very general critiques:

Mind your backgrounds - one of the first things you need to learn is that your brain is very good at disregarding whatever is behind and around something that you're focused on, while your camera is not very good at that at all. Learn to look "in to" the viewfinder instead of "through" the viewfinder. Look at the whole image and not just the subject.

Look up the "rule of thirds" - your flower shots in particular are very centered, and while that leaves very little doubt as to what the subject is, it also makes the photo a bit more archival ("this is something I saw") and less interesting ("this is something I want you to see").

I don't know... I kind'a like the back lit leaves although slightly over exposed and the cropping could use a little work.

Most reactions

Back