Beginner! Starting out! Amateur photographer in the making! Lens help for Nikon D7100

JazzyStudios

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi I am completely a beginner. I have had a Nikon d3100 for years always used on auto mode. Now I am hoping to pursue a career in studio portrait photography. I am starting a course in September and have just purchased a Nikon D7100. I would really appreciate some advice on a good all round lens and a lens for specifically portraits or a good two in one! To really start me off. I do not know where to start... The thing is because I am just starting out, I do not want to have to buy more lenses once I start my course I would like something that will allow me to go strait into my amateur shoots. Any help advice on studio set up and especially lenses is very welcome.

Thanks Jade

My suggestion would be to wait until you begin your course, and find out what the instructor(s) recommend. I use everything from 85mm f1.4 to 200mm f2.8 for portrait work.

50mm f/1.8

It's sharp and gives that nice blurred background.

I wouldn't buy studio equipment until I got the basic technical aspects nailed down.

Even the basics of getting a proper exposure can be confusing at first, so I think it's better to not get overwhelmed right off the bat.

I would always recommend an 85mm lens. Regardless of the fastest aperture you choose in an 85mm lens you will get quality results.

Thank you all I really appreciate the advice and you are probably right regarding studio equipment. I think I am just excited & a tad to enthusiastic assuming I can run before I can walk.
I will definitely look in to the lenses that you have suggested. I would like to start practicing as I have the camera body only so need to purchase a lens anyway.

Kind Regards

I would always recommend an 85mm lens. Regardless of the fastest aperture you choose in an 85mm lens you will get quality results.

50mm f/1.8

I wouldn't buy studio equipment until I got the basic technical aspects nailed down.

Even the basics of getting a proper exposure can be confusing at first, so I think it's better to not get overwhelmed right off the bat.

Is there a specific type you would recommend? As I am purchasing one today and am very overwhelmed with the choices.

Kind Regards
Jade

50mm f/1.8

Is there a specific type you would recommend? As I am purchasing one today and am very overwhelmed with the choices.

Kind Regards
Jade
The 50mm f/1.8 is decent, but the quality doesn't match the 85mm f/1.8. The 85mm will be more expensive, but a worthy investment.
Amazon.com: Nikon 85mm f/1.8G AF-S NIKKOR Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras: NIKON: Camera & Photo

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
get a 50mm f/1.4 and a 70-200mm f/2.8 and that will pretty much cover everything you need.
for portrait work, your lighting setup is just as important as your lens choice.

The 50mm f/1.8 is decent, but the quality doesn't match the 85mm f/1.8. The 85mm will be more expensive, but a worthy investment.

This is the most sound advice. Even on a crop sensor (D90) my 50mm f/1.8D still looks a little awkward. My 85 f/1.8D is much sharper, and the difference between the distortion of the 50 mm to the 85 mm is surprising.

get a 50mm f/1.4 and a 70-200mm f/2.8 and that will pretty much cover everything you need.
for portrait work, your lighting setup is just as important as your lens choice.

Get the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 though. The Canon 50mm f/1.4 is abysmally soft wide open. It might be good for some instances, but I've found that it's easier to soften a sharp image in Photoshop than it is to bring out detail in a soft image.

Maybe I just have a bad copy. Lol

Get the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 though. The Canon 50mm f/1.4 is abysmally soft wide open. It might be good for some instances, but I've found that it's easier to soften a sharp image in Photoshop than it is to bring out detail in a soft image.

Aside from the fact that the camera is a Nikon :), this is good advice. Easier to soften a sharp image than to sharpen a soft one.

Aside from the fact that the camera is a Nikon, this is good advice. Easier to soften a sharp image than to sharpen a soft one.

Oh whoops lol. I guess just ignore my post lol.

The Sigma is a good lens regardless though. :p

Most reactions

New Topics

Back