Beginner with $2,000. what to get?

You would still need a lens. Which lens is best for you depends on how much you want to spend and what you plan to shoot. The EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM is the "kit" lens usually sold with the body because it's a good general-purpose "walking around" lens, very sharp, good performance... basically a well-loved lens. The lens is $919 on the "refurb" store.

Another option, decently priced and keeps you under your $2000 budget (because the EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM is going to exceed the budget by about $500 when you're done paying shipping & taxes) is the EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM. That lens is $383 on the Canon refurb store, but that lens qualifies for $50 off bringing it down to $333. Here's the review on that lens:

Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens Review

The EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM is base level "walking around" standard zoom for full-frame bodies like the 6D, 5D, etc.
The EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM is the upgraded level "walking around" standard zoom -- retailing for closer to $1150 (the refurb price at $919 is about $230 off the store price for a "new" lens).
The EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM II is the premium standard zoom (no "IS" on that lens, but it's a full stop faster for low light and creates a richer out-of-focus blur) but runs well over $2k all on it's own."

I'm confused here. You make it sound as if buying a refurbished 6D at $1,600 and buying a refurbed 25=105mm at $920 is better than just buying a new 6D with the kit lens. But you save alot of money buying the 6D kit at $2,500 vs your suggestion which would put me at just alittle over that???

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I would recomend you starting with crop body like 60d , get it slightly used and save few bucks, but go for better glass it will last you really long time and image quality will be better. Plus you can sale it easy anytime.
As a beginner you not gonna benefit from full frame , also pop up flash is useless for any serious photography just waist of space on pro body.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

So guys, I have appreciated all the advice whole heartedly and hope no one feels disregarded. I've gone with a 6D and the 28-105mm 4L lens. It'll be here in a couple of days. I also ordered a 64GB class 10 sandisk SD card to go with it. I am in need of advice on some appropriate accessories. What tripod to get? What flash to get? Light kit? Etc. Those white sheets photographers use as backdrops?

Oh yea and a bag I can carry the camera and a few lenses in (when I get more)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back