Beginner's Critique - Pass it on

I like this shot! I think the focus could be a little better and the red thing on the right is distracting. Maybe a different angle and faster shutter speed?

Here's mine, my daughter Isabella. The light last night was just super awesome!

2646308776_95b23a0abe.jpg

Mamamilkies - That is a beautiful shot! My only suggestion is to do a little curves adjustment for more dramatic contrast, slight crop to remove the dead space on the left and bring her face more into the rule of thirds, and remove the black speck on her chin.. Hope you don't mind me posting an edited version of your photo, to show what I mean:
Mamamilkies3.jpg

Also I would try not to cut off her hands. But all of this is subjective, your original photo is excellent!

For one of mine -- this is more about PP, I was going for a sort of Dave Hill look on this one, let me know what you think. I was thinking about printing some large copies and giving them to family members, but I'm not sure about the processing, maybe I should give them the original instead?

GroupShot.jpg

I think it's a great family shot, but what's the original look like?
I'm not quite sure what I think about the fact that the shadow on the pink shirt of the person in front of her is visible, that's why I ask to see the original.

I got out the other day to take a bunch of pictures and my husband brought me to this local tunnel that goes under the bridge of the river near us.
This is one of many graffiti shots I got.
2639232632_5abd3ffded.jpg

good use if the rule of thirds. it looks like its a little under exposed.

heres mine
sotrm121of1-21.jpg

I think it's a great family shot, but what's the original look like? I'm not quite sure what I think about the fact that the shadow on the pink shirt of the person in front of her is visible, that's why I ask to see the original.
Thanks Chewbecca -- to avoid hijacking the thread, I created a new thread under the galleries section. Both versions are there: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=129791

Regarding your grafiti photo - It is a tad dark, maybe a brighter exposure would be good, did you use flash? On camera flash would be tough for that one. Also it is slightly out of alignment .. I would either shoot it straight on and straight as possible, or from a 45 degree angle... Being a little bit off is kind of awkward. Also you could try crouching down and shooting up and try for some different looks.

Last edited:
Thanks Chewbecca -- to avoid hijacking the thread, I created a new thread under the galleries section. Both versions are there: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=129791

Regarding your grafiti photo - It is a tad dark, maybe a brighter exposure would be good, did you use flash? On camera flash would be tough for that one. Also it is slightly out of alignment .. I would either shoot it straight on and straight as possible, or from a 45 degree angle... Being a little bit off is kind of awkward. Also you could try crouching down and shooting up and try for some different looks.

Shot it in a dark tunnel, on my tripod, no flash, looong exposure (I think).
hm, maybe it's my monitor, but it doesn't appear too dark. I mean, I can see in the left corner how it might appear slightly underexposed (is that where you all see it looking underexposed, or is the entire picture underexposed?), but not the entire thing. I can mess with it in bibble and lighten it up some.
You don't care for that angle? hm, I guess it could appear awkward.:mrgreen:
It was one of the last shots I took that day and I shot with my sigma 10-20mm and I'm still trying different angles with that lens (LOVE that lens, it's SO fun). But I plan on going back because there's SOO MUCH graffiti in that tunnel to photograph, so I will definitely try a lower shot of that face.
I love that face and I was rather fascinated with it.

Ejazzle-
That photo is awesome. I thinks it great and I personally think you should print it (if you haven't already).
I had this thread open and my husband walked by and stopped just to look at that picture and was wowwed by it as well.

oops, forgot to add one of mine.
Now, I KNOW I break rules with this picture, but I couldn't pass this up.
I took different shots of it at different angles, but it was difficult to get the damn thing photographed correctly because the sun was shining RIGHT ON IT on its right side.
I love it (the subject, that is), though.
2611435457_c3ff89d5ba.jpg

Hmmmm... I'm not sure I see the point in this picture to be honest. I'm pretty sure that the focus is on the lighter colored root that forms:
o
m.

But that doesn't keep my interest for long. You did a great job on the focus and exposure just lacks an interesting subject.

Have at it:
2647643798_6188a49f58_b.jpg

Nothing wrong with this, that I can tell, but I think the sky could have been brought out a little more either via use of a filter or in PP. Maybe saturate the colors just a little? A VERY little. But that's just my personal preference and it could be wrong.

For my pic, yeah, that was more a pic for myself, I shouldn't have posted that for C&C.
And it's not that it forms an "O" and an "M", it's that when I first saw it, it looked like a little person that had grown out of the tree, but was in a "dead" position.
I should go back and reshoot him at a different time.

More from the graffiti tunnel (sorry, they're my most recent shots).
2638404145_2e5a3f2311.jpg

Chewbecca- thanks! glad you like it! where can you get stuff printed? i dont know how big i should get it either........

i really really like the above picture, its not over or underexposed and the tunnel leads ight to the light. looks awesome!

I like the bokeh in your picture, but it needs some cropping of some sort. And maybe add a little bit of saturation? just thoughts...

I'm not really that new to photography anymore, so I'll post an older picture of mine.
Have at it:
b1c97601.jpg

I like this shot! I think the focus could be a little better and the red thing on the right is distracting. Maybe a different angle and faster shutter speed?
Thanks! I deliberately used a slower shutter speed so I could try some panning effects, and the thing on the right is the rope. I was still using a really fast SS, 1/500 I think. You'll be amazed at how fast they go! As for position, I'm not sure much could've been done about that. I squeezed in between 2 jumps; a bit hairy when the 1.5kg Nitros are flying past you! :lol:
I'm not really that new to photography anymore, so I'll post an older picture of mine.
Have at it:
Very well done; yet again, basic composition rules are adhered to (not saying that in a patronising way, you'd be amazed at how many people completely forget it). The subject is also interesting; it's a bit more than a huge green field. However, I think that the image could've been made much better if it was turned into an HDR image; the foregrounds is ever so slightly underexposed, and most of the sky is blown out.

Here's another, sorry if I'm posting too quickly (see a pattern here? :greenpbl:)

dsc1020tz8.jpg

Yes, I agree that it would have made a great HDR image, but I didn't even know HDR existed when I took that picture haha :)

I think this picture is much better than the last one you posted. The car is in focus and I like the angle.

Most reactions

Back