Beginner's pics.. any advice?

Eddie666

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,

I have been meaning to post my pics for a while but only just got around to it. I am a complete beginner with my first SLR.. I have a Nikkon D40X with 18-55mm and a 55-200mm lens.

Criticism appreciated (As long as you tell me how to improve lol):D

DSC_0250.jpg

DSC_0272.jpg

DSC_0315.jpg

DSC_0384.jpg

DSC_0371.jpg

DSC_0044.jpg

DSC_0039.jpg

DSC_0041.jpg

DSC_0028.jpg

DSC_0048.jpg

50 odd views and no comments? Come on people, are they crap or alright? lol

Having less shots per post and numbering the shots would make these pics a bit easier to comment on, don;t mind the views to comments thing, it's pretty usual.

The top 4 are your strongest shots in my opinion.

I have taken the liberty of editing my favourite two shots for some suggestions as its easier to explain by doing. I feel these shots could have been cropped closer to make the shot more interesting and more concentrated on the subject. Next I have gone into photoshop, duplicated the layer and then gone into image - adjustments - curves. I usually make a figure S curve, have a play and see how this looks, but keep it simple. Usually I go a little over the effect I want but then make the layer transparent so the more natural layer shows through and have a play until I get a punchier image that still looks natural. Then I added a simple black border which I think sets off the fantastic colours you have captured here.

I think you have the basics down and a strong foundation to build on, you just need to tweak the shots a little and don't be scared of close crops, I think they add impact.

I really like that your pictures do have subject matter, but even more important, you are thinking of angles which is apparent especially in the low shot of stone henge.

Keep it up, and I hope these suggestions help you. This is all my opinion though so don't feel you have to do what I said, it's just my suggestion. :)

The edits:

fall.jpg

bee.jpg

^I cropped it that way as I liked the abstract patterns to the left hand side.

I put them on my photobucket but put in the file name and description that you took them ;)

Having less shots per post and numbering the shots would make these pics a bit easier to comment on, don;t mind the views to comments thing, it's pretty usual.

The top 4 are your strongest shots in my opinion.

I have taken the liberty of editing my favourite two shots for some suggestions as its easier to explain by doing. I feel these shots could have been cropped closer to make the shot more interesting and more concentrated on the subject. Next I have gone into photoshop, duplicated the layer and then gone into image - adjustments - curves. I usually make a figure S curve, have a play and see how this looks, but keep it simple. Usually I go a little over the effect I want but then make the layer transparent so the more natural layer shows through and have a play until I get a punchier image that still looks natural. Then I added a simple black border which I think sets off the fantastic colours you have captured here.

I think you have the basics down and a strong foundation to build on, you just need to tweak the shots a little and don't be scared of close crops, I think they add impact.

I really like that your pictures do have subject matter, but even more important, you are thinking of angles which is apparent especially in the low shot of stone henge.

Keep it up, and I hope these suggestions help you. This is all my opinion though so don't feel you have to do what I said, it's just my suggestion. :)

The edits:

fall.jpg

bee.jpg

^I cropped it that way as I liked the abstract patterns to the left hand side.

I put them on my photobucket but put in the file name and description that you took them ;)

Thanks for this dude,

I have numbered the pictures now to help ;)

Also, I have posted these straight from taking them so not edited them in any way as I don't have much experience in photoshop.. (I'll install it tonight and have a play) and look at what you have done as I think the top one you edited looks a lot better with the close crop.

Thanks!

So what does the "S" curve in photoshop actually do? It looks completely different to my pic so just wondering :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back