Benefits of not smoking...

i've smoked several cigars and my pipe, but not cigarettes. i'm assuming that is what we are talking about. so yes, i concur with your benefits of non-smokers.

Those people are really quite annoying. Smokers know damn well about the health risks. We seriously don't need you to tell us about them. The worst are when people say crap like "you know that's bad for you." Of course I do. Besides, what am I supposed to say to that? "Oh, shxt! Really? Well I'd better put this thing out then..."

btw I'm quitting smoking atm...it's pretty hard. I've slipped up once or twice but other than that it's going quite well.

hmm, I wish I was quitting! I've been smoking since I was 9 (now 26, that's 17 whole years) and have a really heavy habit, at the moment I'm trying to go for longer every morning without having a *** in the hopes that I'll be able to quit by the end of the year. I'd like to just drop it and never pick one up again but when I do that and I still have cold sweats, vomiting and the shakes after 2 weeks I always pick up the pack again.

darin3200 said:
Everytime I walk by someone when they are smoking I do a huge coughing routine. The looks I get are funny, supposed to be mean, but funny to me.
:lmao::hail:

All I can say is that I am happy I never really started.
I tried when I was 15 and even owned ONE package that I bought myself (and finished almost), but it was then that I started wondering WHY I was beginning to develop this (which never really became a habit, mind), and found out I was doing it for the others, but definitely not for myself and my own good (felt miserable and sick to the stomach EVERY time I had smoked). So I stopped there and then and told myself that those who don't like me without a cigarette in hands were not going to like me any better WITH one, and those who already had liked me as a non-smoker would also continue to do so.

I saw in my best friend how hard it is to break the habit, so my admiration goes out to everyone who tries, and more even to who succeeds ... this best friend of mine hasn't smoked for the past 12 or 13 years and still says sometimes "Wow, now I could need one!" -- it is such a hard thing to break free from!

So: big thumbsup to all those who try to or have even succeeded in stopping! And a "Try to at least try" to those who would like to drop the habit and can't seem to do so.

LaFoto said:
All I can say is that I am happy I never really started.
I tried when I was 15 and even owned ONE package that I bought myself (and finished almost), but it was then that I started wondering WHY I was beginning to develop this (which never really became a habit, mind), and found out I was doing it for the others, but definitely not for myself and my own good (felt miserable and sick to the stomach EVERY time I had smoked). So I stopped there and then and told myself that those who don't like me without a cigarette in hands were not going to like me any better WITH one, and those who already had liked me as a non-smoker would also continue to do so.

I saw in my best friend how hard it is to break the habit, so my admiration goes out to everyone who tries, and more even to who succeeds ... this best friend of mine hasn't smoked for the past 12 or 13 years and still says sometimes "Wow, now I could need one!" -- it is such a hard thing to break free from!

So: big thumbsup to all those who try to or have even succeeded in stopping! And a "Try to at least try" to those who would like to drop the habit and can't seem to do so.

thnx I just tried smoking once and I stopped!

Having quit smoking I understand what it's like from both sides.

Being a smoker, I understand how annoying it was to have non-smokers tell me how bad it was for me.

Having quit, I understand how refreshing it is to have them stop and how mind numbingly insane it drives me to see friends and family wasting money and life on an addiction that isn't REALLY that hard to stop. It's not heroin people. It's a cigarette. How weak do you have to be, to need a CIGARETTE to make you feel better.

I smoked for 10 years, it's only been six weeks, but I can truely say that there is nothing at all that will make me go back to the habbit. The worst is over. If I go back now, I'm just a moron.

bace said:
Having quit smoking I understand what it's like from both sides.

Being a smoker, I understand how annoying it was to have non-smokers tell me how bad it was for me.

Having quit, I understand how refreshing it is to have them stop and how mind numbingly insane it drives me to see friends and family wasting money and life on an addiction that isn't REALLY that hard to stop. It's not heroin people. It's a cigarette. How weak do you have to be, to need a CIGARETTE to make you feel better.

I smoked for 10 years, it's only been six weeks, but I can truely say that there is nothing at all that will make me go back to the habbit. The worst is over. If I go back now, I'm just a moron.

very well said bace..I agree with your point of view..specially smoking is just wasting money...

:hail:

Oliver, it's OK by now. We know now that you don't like smoking, that you never smoked, that you kowtow for everyone who does not smoke. Give it a rest.

bace said:

Come on Bace! there are levels of addiction and when a body relies on a substance to maintain it's physical routine rather than just using the substance as an emotional crutch you find that most addicts have the same withdrawal symptoms regardless of the drug they use. I know that having a hard time quitting and failing miserably isn't exactly anyones ultimate goal but it does take a lot of wilpower to go through the physical changes of the time. I onyl know one person who has had a similar experience in quitting as you and think you're probably part of a small minority, hats off to you for managing though! ;)

magicmonkey said:
Come on Bace! there are levels of addiction and when a body relies on a substance to maintain it's physical routine rather than just using the substance as an emotional crutch you find that most addicts have the same withdrawal symptoms regardless of the drug they use. I know that having a hard time quitting and failing miserably isn't exactly anyones ultimate goal but it does take a lot of wilpower to go through the physical changes of the time. I onyl know one person who has had a similar experience in quitting as you and think you're probably part of a small minority, hats off to you for managing though! ;)

If you wanted to quit you would.

A co-worker of mine smokes just as much if not more than yourself. He used Zyban and a nicotine inhaler thingy. There was no withdrawel with Zyban and in the most extreme cases of nicotine need, he took out the inhaler.

hmm, Zyban is a bit of a dodgy drug with some pretty nasty side effects, not something I'd like to take, sounds silly from a smoker I know! I'm not too hot on the idea of inhalers either, it's like giving methodone to smack addicts, usually it just reduces the desire (not by much with smack heads but you get the jist...) whilst continuing the dependancy which prolongs the addiction, I've always tried the cold turkey method of quiting and had no joy with it. Currently I'm trying the cut down method and don't have a smoke before 9 on work days. Sounds pretty bad I know but I get up at about 4:30 to start work at 6 so it's longer than you'd think really, honest!

Edited as the F*A*G word seems to be banned here...

magicmonkey said:
Edited as the F*A*G word seems to be banned here...

[side note]Over in America, it's used as a word to describe homosexuals in a demeaning manner so we had to censor it out.... even if it does only mean a cigarette over there :D [/side note]

hobbes28 said:
[side note]Over in America, it's used as a word to describe homosexuals in a demeaning manner so we had to censor it out.... even if it does only mean a cigarette over there :D [/side note]

You're such a cigarette!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back