Benefits of shooting in RAW

RAW data files are esssentially unedited photos that retain all the captured image data.

That's the essence of it right there.
Everything about the image is still in the RAW file, nothing is baked in, everything is adjustable to some degree or another including white balance and even exposure to some degree.

You could let the little $1 chip in the camera make decisions about color, sharpening, contrast, etc. or you can do it yourself in a raw processor.

Lets put it this way,
If you do not know the benefit of shooting raw.

You do not need RAW, just shoot JPEG

However, If you do know the benefit and know how to use a raw file and have the correct tools, A whole new world opens up for you.

Basically RAW = more data, no compression, better for print (as you can save as .tiff instead of JPEG which is lossy) Better for editing, Less chance of getting banding from over processing / adding too much detail, easier to correct exposure, white balance and so much more.

If I make changes in RAW then save as uncompressed TIFF, I haven't lost any image quality but have I lost some of the adjustability? I use UFRAW and GIMP.
It will depend on the bit depth you save them at. GIMP still doesn't do 16-bit, so it has few options for non-destructive editing.

Raw images get converted to 16-bit depth files, though the added bits (2 or 4) are metadata, not image data.

I took some pictures on my last trip in RAW format and was unaware of how much memory RAW photos require. Half way through the trip, I changed the image quality to Fine. I cannot upload the RAW photos because of how much memory they are requiring, but am not at all having a problem with the other photos.

Is there any way that I can change the image quality back from RAW after the photo has already been taken so that I can upload them with ease?????

Please help!!!! :confused:

It depends on the mood. Mostly I would shoot in RAW, but there are occasions when you need to do it in JPG.
The only occasion I can think of in which you need to do it in JPG is when your memory card is almost full :D

It depends on the mood. Mostly I would shoot in RAW, but there are occasions when you need to do it in JPG.
The only occasion I can think of in which you need to do it in JPG is when your memory card is almost full :D
I thought that's why having spares is a good idea :razz:.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back