Benifits of Ring Flash

CanonSnob

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.jadamphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking into getting some lights. I see some photographers using a ring flash sometimes. What are the bennifits of a ring flash, other than a halo catch light? Are they worth buying?

Rings are very popular these days for what is called the "Maxium" look. This is even lighting that is almost shadowless. With a straight ring light without modifiers attached, a slight shadow equal distant all around the subject is the telltale hint of the lighting used. That and the catchlight. Alien bees have a nice one at a reasonable price. With the optional Moon Unit the halo shadow is almost non-existent and makes for beautiful portraits. I'm sure this is the type you were refering to.... But another version of a ring light, is in macro photography. It is a small, portable low powered unit that mounts to the filter ring of your macro lens. I have a Sigma version and it gives good, flat and even light to the subject even if only about 1" or less from the subject.

All my life I've been trying to get the flash as far away from the lens axis as possible. The popularity of ring flashes for anything other than macro baffles me.

Most reactions

Back