best 35mm camera??

hey mike e,

yes this is for my wife. i came to the equipment part of the forum and reworded my question to be more specific, rather than the one in the beginner area.

im just trying to get an idea of good quality options!!

as for quality of picture. im not sure what the difference is, like i said im only trying to upgrade my wifes existing equipment. i dont know squat about photography :). i know that she would most likely only be taking pictures of normal everydaythings (people, animals, scenery, etc.) nothing hard core just pictures for her self.

i was looking at a website (not sure where) at the medium/large format cameras and they looked like something a photography studio would have, not to mention the prices were like $800-$4000. little to much for the use the camera would get.

im not sure if it matters but she is big into black/white photos. so i know shed be taking more of them rather than color.

i know that she would most likely only be taking pictures of normal everydaythings (people, animals, scenery, etc.) nothing hard core just pictures for her self.
i was looking at a website (not sure where) at the medium/large format cameras and they looked like something a photography studio would have, not to mention the prices were like $800-$4000. little to much for the use the camera would get.

im not sure if it matters but she is big into black/white photos. so i know shed be taking more of them rather than color.

* You are looking to have an upgrade over the equipment she already has.
* You want high image quality on B&W negative
* Photos of every day things (people, animals, scenery, etc)
* Not too expensive
* Something practical out in the field and not for studio.

I'm with Mike, go with a medium format... .meet all the requirements. Your wife will find a lot of enjoyment and be amazed by negatives of that format. Medium format doesn't have be expensive (especially now), some feel just like an SLR (prism viewfinders), and many are practical out in the field (not limited to studio). Bronica, Mamiya, and Pentax all make wonderful systems.

My personal choice would be the Pentax 645. Again.. very 35mm SLR like with a larger negative. It will be a bit cheaper than Bronica and Mamiya. Both Adorama.com and KEH.com carry a Pentax 645 outfit with 120 back and 75 f2.8 lens for under $400. Just like 35mm systems, there is a whole range of lenses available (both prime and zoom) at reasonable prices. The Pentax 645 lenses also can be mated to a Pentax 35mm (or digital) body via an adapter.

If she has an enlarger/darkroom at home, the 645 negative is an absolute joy to work with. Pentax also makes a 67 with an even larger negative but the camera body itself is rather large and bulky.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back