Best Affordable Camera?

Britanica

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am looking for an affordable camera. Nothing SUPER expensive. What is a good camera that will be great for a beginner that doesn't cost more than $400?
I don't want to spend a ton of money in the beginning. I would LOVE to own one of those high-tech $2000+ cameras but I don't have the money for that! haha

Look at the D3200 (~ $500) and at the D5200 (~ $ 600).
These are entry level DSLRs from Nikon. The D5200 is a hell of a good camera.

Canon's entry level are ~ $300

Look at the D3200 (~ $500) and at the D5200 (~ $ 600).
These are entry level DSLRs from Nikon. The D5200 is a hell of a good camera.

Canon's entry level are ~ $300

Thank you, I will check these out. I heard very good things about Nikon cameras. My last camera was a Canon I believe but it was only a simply point and shoot $250 camera. Not great for outdoor shooting on my opinion.

Just got my gf a D3200 kit for her birthday. It's an excellent camera with some real wiggle room experience-wise. When you're ready to upgrade, it'll make a great backup.

Just got my gf a D3200 kit for her birthday. It's an excellent camera with some real wiggle room experience-wise. When you're ready to upgrade, it'll make a great backup.

Thanks! I will definitely keep this one at the top of the list. It sounds very nice for a beginner.

I am looking for an affordable camera. Nothing SUPER expensive. What is a good camera that will be great for a beginner that doesn't cost more than $400?
I don't want to spend a ton of money in the beginning. I would LOVE to own one of those high-tech $2000+ cameras but I don't have the money for that! haha
D3200 is a great starter, if you can stretch the budget just a tad d5200 used or refurbished is an outstanding option as well.

Both are very hard to beat in there price range as far as all around cameras are concerned.

D3200 is a great starter, if you can stretch the budget just a tad d5200 used or refurbished is an outstanding option as well.

Both are very hard to beat in there price range as far as all around cameras are concerned.

I will look around, thank you :)

I have found deals in the past on Amazon. I will check there first. I have gotten refurbished items before so that don't bother me. My cellphone, laptop, and one of my cameras is refurbished haha

Amazon has a 12 month financing program if that helps you. Alternatively, don't be afraid to look at refurbs!

That I did not know! haha I shop on amazon for most tech stuff as it is usually cheaper. I will look into this.

Check the prices on "refurbished" cameras. The Nikon website has an online store with a refurbished section ... as does the Canon online website.

Nikon's D3xxx models are their "entry" level bodies.

Canon's "T3" and "T5" models (without the "i" suffix... a T5 and T5i are not the same camera) are their "entry" level bodies.

A refurbished camera still comes with a warranty but would save you quite a bit off the price of a "new" camera. It's not the same as a "used" camera. A "refurbished" camera is one that was returned by a consumer (for whatever reason) but then re-checked and if necessary repaired by Nikon or Canon to put it back into basically "new" condition -- except they can't call it "new" because it was previously sold and returned.

Here's a link to the Nikon D3200 (because for some reason it's very difficult to navigate Nikon's store to find "refurbished" cameras grouped together):

Refurbished D3200 Nikon HDSLR Camera | Digital SLR Camera from Nikon (with kit 18-55mm lens it's $399 -- a "new" D3200 with the same lens is about $479. You save about $80 for buying refurbished.)

Here's a link to Canon's "refurbished" section of the store: Canon Refurbished EOS Digital SLR Cameras | Canon Online Store

The T3 with similar 18-55mm kit lens is here: Canon EOS Rebel T3 Black EF-S 18-55mm IS II Lens Kit Refurbished | Canon Online Store (about $359).

You will also need a memory card (they don't include that... but those are cheap. Typically somewhere around $1 per gigabyte. E.g. a 16GB SD card is probably less than $16.)

Other than that memory card, the camera will include everything you need to start using it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back