best all around lens???

chente922

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
For my next buy, I'm looking for a good all around lens with good zoom, tired of been changing between my 18-50 and my 75-300...

I've being thinking in the canon IS 28-135 f/3.5...

what other options do I got? what u guys have or what u guys recommend?

thanks in advance

Any lens you get that covers the range you are talking of will be a compromise.

You could also buy a second camera.

that's a most for weddings and covering events but... when i mean all around I also mean everyday use :)

I found that all around lens is a personal preference. Some people will get the super zoom lens such as 18-200mm type but others will rather get 2 separate lenses for better image quality. I saw someone in this forum said his walk around lens, or I should say lenses are his primes lenses.

So, just use the one you like.

The 28-135 is supposed to be a pretty good lens, but many people feel that its an awkward range on a crop sensor. If you always find yourself at the long end of your 18-50, and the short end of your 75-300, than it could be a good option for you. You can often find them used because they are bundled with the 40d and people sell them on craigslist or ebay for about $100 less than new. Also can on and sigma both make an 18-200, but there are probably more quality trade-offs for the convenience.

For walkaround everyday use, I would say the 24-70 f2.8 L is the best lens ..

There is no such thing as "best"... so the answers will be varied greatly. This is the reason people (like me) have purchased, resold, purchased, resold and purchased numerous of lenses in search for a lens that fits.

For me, the zoom 24-70L is not a good walk around lens. The focal range is short and the lens is a bit heavy. For others, (especially those that like the f/2.8 max aperture) it might be ideal. Yet others, (like me) traded in the 24-70L for a 24-105L which is a compromise of the f/2.8 for other advantages. Yet others, are going to find the 24mm focal length not wide enough. This is especially true on cropped sensor bodies. They choose the 17-55 f/2.8 EFS lens. Yet others, do not find enough advantages in the "L" line of lenses and are perfectly happy with the 28-135 IS. My cousin is one of those individuals.

Finally, many shooters (including Iron and I) actually prefer primes of zooms but the OP did specifically say zoom. If you are tired of switching between two zooms, then I don't think primes are a good fit.

I also have fairly older zoom, the Tamron 35-105 f/2.8 Asph. Its old and slow but I keep it because it is also good image quality for a second body.

I'm one of those types of people, if not the one referred to. :lol:

Anywho...Walkaround lens, only one....135mm

lol ... I am sure you are one of the fine people here that use a lot of prime lenses. Right now, I have 2 primes and 2 zooms. I usually use the 14mm, 50mm and a old 70-210mm lenses. haha .. the last one is the kit zoom lens . . and I have not use it for long long time. And most of the time, I keep the 50mm lens on the camera.

lol ... I am sure you are one of the fine people here that use a lot of prime lenses. Right now, I have 2 primes and 2 zooms. I usually use the 14mm, 50mm and a old 70-210mm lenses. haha .. the last one is the kit zoom lens . . and I have not use it for long long time. And most of the time, I keep the 50mm lens on the camera.

Yeah, for my primary carryon camera my lens selection consists of ten primes and three zooms one of which (80-200) is on loan to my Girlfriend. My personal favorite lens for walkaround use is my 400mm, but that is not for everyone ;)

Of all my cameras, I have five zooms total of close to forty lenses.

thanks everyone... I'll try the 28-135 IS, I believe is the one that most convince me since can't afford a "L series"

some say the EF 70-200 F/4 is a good walk around lens... its also "L" and for like... $570 or something

some say the EF 70-200 F/4 is a good walk around lens... its also "L" and for like... $570 or something
Too heavy.

I have the Nikon equivalent of the 70-200 and let me tell you that I would NOT want to walk around for a full day with that on my camera.

If I was talking Nikon, the 18-200 is an excellent walk-around lens. Light, sharp and more than acceptable IQ. Between 50-150mm it is darn close to the Nikkor 70-200, but is slower (F/3.5-5.6). Still, the results speak for themselves.

I did see a Canon user with the (I believe) 24-135L F/4 or something like that, I cannot recall exactly... and the results were crisp, clear and just overall excellent. The lens was also not overbearing, which is very important in a walk-around kind of lens.

Most reactions

Back