Best book for Photoshop CS3?

RTXPIX

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
What is the best beginners book to learn Photoshop CS3?

Adobe Photoshop CS3 Classroom in a Book.

This book is from Adobe itself and gives you step by step lessons working on images that are included on a disc. It is good for all levels of Photoshop knowledge. You can do any of the lessons in any order depending on what you wish to learn. Perfect for beginners.

It really dependsd on your budget and your learning style, but the video training at http://www.lynda.com is really very good. They have over 30 photography related video title and there are free sample segments of every title. The videos by Chris Orwig are particularly good.

I learned more from a single video title than I manged to glean from a book.

Charlie

I think that after purchasing several books from Scott Kelby, that I personally would not waste much money on anything with his name anymore. His teaching methods make me feel like he is talking to a 5-year old and his jokes are nothing short of terrible and look to me as if they are used as filler for a book lacking true content.

I do not buy a book on photography or Photoshop to be amused or talked down to... I buy it to learn from. Where's the beef??!!?? :lol:

I would rather target my PS info based on what ever specifically I was wanting to learn about instead of just looking for a general book on CS3. For example, if I needed info on how to learn to properly expose and PP skin, the book I would get (and in fact did purchase) is called: Skin, The complete guideto digitally lighting, photographing and retouching faces and bodies. Author is Lee Varis.

With 389 pages of "meat", THIS is an excellent book on a very specific topic... including using photoshop techniques in relation to photography. I've just started it, but am already facinated by some of the techniques shown, and looking forward to using the concepts shown.

Learning what the tools are, what are actions and how to do basic tasks are things that are covered in tutorials witin CS3, YouTube, and thousands of times on the internet (Google is your friend!). Why would I pay for a book that tries to show me things that I can find better and for free?

Digital Boot Camp by Kevin Kubota is good also, not totally Photoshop stuff, but the PS stuff he does discuss includes, Photoshop Essentials, Photoshop Corrective Techniques, Photoshop Enhancements, and Photoshop Actions.

I have Photoshop CS3 for Digital Photographers by Scott Kelby and I liked it. It shows you specific steps to accomplish a given task. You like Scott Kelby or you don't. The only thing I that bothered me, was that I didn't know why he was doing things one way or another and decided I needed a more basic book.

So I bought a book called Photoshop CS3 for Dummies, by Barbara Obermeier. It is organized as 9 mini books, with a book dedicated to specific topics such as Selections, Layers, Channels, Retouching, Printing and so on. It's a long read, but I know a lot more about what I'm doing now, and its a great reference book.

I have Photoshop CS3 for Digital Photographers and Photoshop CS3 for Dummies. I like them both and read them, for the most part, cover to cover. However, I am still confused on a bunch of different things.

I'm going to try the classroom book also, but I think if anything the 2 others are both good reference books once you learn how to use it. I also think they would be good if you have a basic idea of how photoshop works.

Most reactions

Back