Best Camera for Beginner?

Powdski

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am trying to begin photography, and looking for a camera since my birthday is in a few weeks. My budget is probably $500. Still looking for the best quality possible. I will probably do mostly nature related photos. What should I look for in a camera? Also, what are some good options?

At that price point, I would probably go with a Nikon D3400 with the two lens package. The long lens is not great because it doesn't have vibration reduction but it is usable. Adarama has it for $499 and includes a few useful items like a cleaning kit, Paintshop Pro, Aftershot Pro and an SD card. B&H has a refurbished kit for $459, but for the difference, I would go for the new plus the goodies.

I would get the Nikon D3400 kit with ONLY the 18-55 VR lens, for $400.
IMHO, the long lens without VR is a waste of money. The longer the lens, the harder it is to keep steady and get a good picture. Save your money for a VR version of the 55-200 or 70-300 lens. I've used both VR and non-VR lenses, and I much prefer a VR lens for general use.

Canon probably has a similar entry level camera.

Another option is the Olympus OM-D E-M10-mk2. This is a mirrorless micro 4/3 camera. It is currently discounted because Olympus has released the mk3. You can get the E-M10-mk2 + 14-42EZ compact lens for $430 reconditioned from Olympus, or $500 new.

If you don't mind buying used, you can get some great deals, and your $ will go farther. But just like buying a used car, you have to be careful. Most of my camera/lens gear is used, and I have been happy with them.
If you buy from KEH, they will warrant what they sell, vs. zero warranty from an eBay seller. Manufacturer refurbished is another good source of gear with a warranty, though the warranty is shorter than for new gear.

WARNING1, if you buy a "gray market"/imported Nikon (did not get imported into the US by Nikon USA), Nikon USA will NOT service/repair the gear at all. This is why I will NOT buy a gray market Nikon. I want to be able to get my gear repaired, if it needs to be repaired.

WARNING2. For used gear, manufacturers warranty is generally to the ORIGINAL purchaser, and NOT transferable. And proof of sale/receipt may be required to obtain warranty service. Don't fall for someone saying you have X months of warranty left, cuz it drops to 0/ZERO when you buy it from him.

yeah, an enrty level Canon or Nikon is what you should be looking at with the nikon being slightly better performance. Personally I don't find IS/VR that useful, as either I can use a tripod or there's moving stuff in my shot and my shutter speed needs to be high anyway, so it depends on what you shoot as to how useful it will be. So I'd get a two lens kit.

Also need some post processing software, a memory card, maybe a spare battery so don't forget to factor that into your price.

Why not look at the Panasonic mirrorless cameras and save some money and weight to carry around ?

Another vote for the D3400. I would surely get the two kit lens. As far as no VR, keep the shutter speeds up and develop solid hand holding technique. I can't say enough about the importance of good hand holding techniques, it should be applied with all lenses and become second nature. It is an important part in the art of taking an image, and often not thought about when starting out. I learned this shooting film where none of the lenses had VR. Don't get me wrong, VR is helpful but shouldn't be a crutch. Develop good technique, work hard at it, it can be rewarding.

VR, or Vibration Reduction, can help compensate for camera movement only if the shutter speed is slower than 1/500 of a second.
Outside in daylight shooting nature related images, the shutter speed will usually be faster than 1/500.
VR should be turned off when the shutter speed is faster than 1/500, and VR should be turned off when the camera/lens is mounted on a tripod.

Any of the current name brands make quality cameras. Note however than image quality is mostly about photographer knowledge and skill - artistic and technical. Light direction & quality, rather than the camera used, is usually what distinguishes good images from mediocre and poor images.

Another vote for Nikon D3400 with 18-55 lens. It'll help you learn manual settings and would be the easiest of all DSLR's. Plus the photos taken are great and kit lens would be perfect for everyday situations. Once you feel constrained and learn enough, you can upgrade the gear.

There is no such thing as an all around, always, in every circumstance, "best" camera, lens, etc. Some things will meet your needs / desires better than other things will. Do you want the capability to shoot in camera panoramics? The Nikon D3300 has that capability. Do you want to be able to use lower priced older lenses, such as Nikon AIS, and D, lenses? If so, you need a camera such as the Nikon 7100, which has a built in focus motor, to get AF from such older lenses. Do you want to shoot sports type action shots? If so, get a camera which has a high burst rate. Consider the Nikon 1 J5...a "1/2 inch" sensored, mirrorless, camera which can accept an adapter (the FT-1) which lets you also use F mount (DX, and FX) lenses on the J5. Decide what features you need, and get a camera with those features.

my vote is for Olympus.
Here's a few shots with my EM10 III
P4220729.jpg
P4220642.jpg

Hello, I'm looking for a camera too. I begin on photography now and reading about the cameras. I'm thinking buy the Nikon 1 V2 10-30mm, it's a good camera to start ? I'm reading the topics of www.fotografoinovador.com.br to learn more about photography. Thank you so much!

All of the Nikon 1 cameras are good, but some are better. Which best suits you is determined by how well each fits your needs. Compare the V1, V2, V3, J 4, J5, etc, and decide. If you get the V2, or any other Nikon 1 camera, also get the FT-1 lens adapter, so you can use F Mount (DX, and FX) lenses on the V1. The CX sensor in the Nikon 1 cameras have a 2.7x crop factor...so a 100mm FX lens will have the field of view of a 270mm lens. I have never regretted having my Nikon 1 cameras. I started with an older S1, and later went for a J5. The Nikon 1 line may be discontinued before long, so buy soon.

I am trying to begin photography, and looking for a camera since my birthday is in a few weeks. My budget is probably $500. Still looking for the best quality possible. I will probably do mostly nature related photos. What should I look for in a camera? Also, what are some good options?

I'll also vote Canon but nature ... aka "birds" requires a good telephoto lens

Untitled by c w, on Flickr

Most reactions

Back