Best camera for concerts?

Newbie66

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Does anyone have any suggestions for the best concert camera out there? I know models come out frequently, but I'm an avid concert goer who, the main thing I love about concerts, are the pictures. I take a shot almost every song, every show and though my Fujifilm FinePix A805 works well, I want to update myself a little bit.

I'm specifically looking for something professional with awesome zoom that won't blur out, since sometimes i get stuck in the nosebleeds, and just something that gets the best photos when the lighting is very obscure and ever changing.

What's your price range... if you want the best.. D3s ~ $5500 for the body alone.

What's your price range... if you want the best.. D3s ~ $5500 for the body alone.

I'll have to go ahead and call BS on this... Having tested neither Nikon nor Hasselblad, I feel confident the 'blad would be far superior to anything Nikon or Canon have ever made.

OP: Pretty much any halfway decent body will do, preferably one with good hi ISO performance. You want a wide (if you're planning on getting floor/stage access), fast lens. f/2.8 absolute minimum.

Last edited by a moderator:

I'll have to go ahead and call BS on this... Having tested neither Nikon nor Hasselblad, I feel confident the 'blad would be far superior to anything Nikon or Canon have ever made.

OP: Pretty much any halfway decent body will do, preferably one with good hi ISO performance. You want a wide (if you're planning on getting floor/stage access), fast lens. f/2.8 absolute minimum.

Well I was referring to DSLR. I'm pretty sure he's not looking to lug around a $20,000+ MF camera in concerts.

I'll call your BS and raise you two full of it's. Read this: Kidding
:mrgreen:

Why do you feel confident that the hasselblad is better than both Nikon and Canon? MF are aim at a completely differently type of shooting. For concert you said it yourself. You need a body with high ISO performance. Which MF body do you know that produces clean image at 12000ISO and can focus in fast in crappy low light.

According to benchmark testing: DxOMark - Sensor rankings

D3s ranks #5, the nearest Hasselblad is ranked #12.

Thanks for the input guys!

on terms of where i usually am and what I'm looking for, I'm usually on the floor/near the stage, but in the rare occasions I do go nose bleed, I'm looking for something for great zoom. The problem my FinePix A805 has is that it's digital zoom isn't very good with the lighting, and it frequently comes very oversaturated.

I'll be doing some more research on other models, thanks for helping a photography noob out!

You really need to give us a budget. The "best" camera for it would be a d3s, as stated above. Which is ~$6000 for the body only. Then you would need some very fast lenses. I'd reccomend a 50 1.4 ($400), 85 1.8 ($430), 70-200 2.8 ($2,000) ...and thats just if your shooting from right near the stage. If your gonna be fairly far away (more than 100 feet or so, you'll want a 300 mm 2.8 ($5,000), and possibly a 400mm 2.8 ($6,000)

Obviously that isnt practical for someone taking casual concert photos

Frankly, I know this may sound cheap, but around 350-400 would be my limit.

I could spend a little more, concert photos have just been something that's been sentimental to me, and I hate walking away with low quality pictures. As I mentioned, my camera now is alright, but I'm ready for an upgrade

Keep saving

Most reactions

New Topics

Back