Best Camera/lens for Closeup/action

newcameraguy89

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am currently in production to release a sports beverage. I want to see what the best camera and lens would be to take close up photos of the bottle, as well as maybe someone holding it or photos of the bottle in locations.

Similar to how the photos appear on Bai, body armor, etc instagrams.

Honestly if you're not able to answer this question on your own it might be more prudent to invest in a photographer to take the product shots for you. I'm not saying you can't learn, but it might be a heck of a lot easier for you if this is the primary intent of purchasing/renting equipment.

You've also mentioned a camera and lens but nothing about lighting; for product photography the lighting is almost going to be the most critical part of the photography. Nearly any decent camera and lens can do standard work like you're describing. The "Best" would likely be medium format (which is going to run you well into tens of thousands of $/£); DSLRs will do a very good job but even they at the top end are going to be several thousand.

And we could suggest systems that might cost a thousand or so (including lights, stands, camera, lens etc...)

Or you could get away with a few hundred if your prepared to work within some limits (eg natural light - yes that's hard to work with to get it right; making your own lighting aids; etc...).

You've not stated a budget, you've not considered lighting. All in all I'd suggest hiring to fill this job requirement. It likely gives you the greatest chance for getting a solid product for your investment in money with a lesser demand on your time.

If you're going to push ahead with purchasing then you're going to need to give more feedback on what you're after specifically as well as your budget; photography experiences (if any) etc...

I like you advice, we will have a professional photographer helping as well. I should clairfy, these photos aren't ones that would be in a light box etc. This camera would be used more for taking photos of the bottle in "situations" for lack of a better term. Maybe someone holding one. Maybe it lying in a pile of leafs etc. I have some basic understanding of lighting, shutter speeds etc. but not to a great extent, but plan to gain a basic understanding.

There is no budget, but I don't see a need to go too crazy. I was thinking in the range of 500-1000 for the camera, then if there is a good "all purpose" lens for 500$ or so then I would go that route. I understand there are many lens to choose from, but again this is just for some basic simple photos and then ill use adobe lightroom to make some slight adjustments.

it sounds like a nikon d3400 would be good? just not sure of a lens if I went with this.

Not a seriously challenging equipment requirement. An entry level or pro-sumer camera would do the job. If you could find a used Nikon D5300 and an 18-140mm zoom lens you'd be set.

I'd look at a Panasonic tz100 with a good TTL flash unit. 1" sensor and a 10 zoom with 4k photo extract. If you have a professional photographer as well your set with a capable but not over complicated camera to get the shots you may need.

I´d second what overread said, but looking at your second post it seems you need some content for social media, right? In regard to the camera - there are a few to pick from. It doesn´t have to be the fanciest one an entry level DSLR or mirrorless is just fine. More important is the lens. I´d go with a prime lens. A very affordable 50mm f1.8 is available from almost every manufacturer. Using this with a wide aperture will give you images that do look more professional (I know some will concur with this statement though), because they will have a blurred background and make your product stand out.

it sounds like a nikon d3400 would be good? just not sure of a lens if I went with this.

The D3400 is a good entry level camera. But since it silly sales season. I would pick up a D5500 2 lens kit if you can find one. If not the D5600 2 lens kit (18-55, 70-300). If you absolutely want to save money then the D3400 2 lens kit. I have a several full frame Nikons but still use a D3300 for my travel camera. The D3300 / D3400 are good cameas, just more menu based for making changes. The D5500/5600 have moveable rear monitors. It would be handy for product shots and or video if you have the camera at weird / low angles. Easier to frame your subject with the moveable monitor!

Product photography is more about the lighting and lens than it is about the camera body itself.

Higher end camera bodies have technical features with advanced focusing systems, weather sealing, and, well... lots of features you are unlikely to use in a studio environment.

Mostly what you want to control is the light and the way the light hits and reflects off the product. You also want to control the angle of view to the product and how the background (or foreground) compares to the subject of interest and that turns out to be things that are controlled by lens selection — not camera body. The reflective cards are cheap and available at any craft store... this is an example where it isn’t the cost so much as it is the “knowing how”. Having all the lights and light modifiers can get expensive. A product shoot may involve a number of lights, a number of light modifiers, a number of mirrors & reflectors, a number of cards, etc. But mostly... it’s the “knowing how” that you will need.

Lighting is tricky (trickier than you might guess) and product photographers carry loads of light modifiers to deal with this. This isn’t really about selecting the right camera.

There are also tricks to help add some stylizing to the image... if it’s supposed to be a “cold” beverage, how to you get that frosty look? And there’s a bit of trickery here it turns out misting the bottle with some water usually wont pull off the effect (so possibly the photographer uses a bit of water & glycerin since the glycerin creates drops that hold up better and look just like water drops.) A photographer might also spray the bottle with a dulling spray to control the reflections on the bottle.

Anyway, what you want is an experienced product photographer.

Listen to Tim et al - if you want professional quality work, hire a professional photographer. An actual pro, not somebody on craigslist, etc. If amateur work is adequate then get a used DSLR and a used good sharp lens or two (since I don't know everyplace you'd be placing this beverage). A good experienced photographer could probably get some good quality photos with just about any camera; the equipment doesn't make the photos.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back