BEST CAMERA UNDER $1,000

y_pugach

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi first I would like to say that I am new to this forum so i'm not too sure if this is a question that is asked a lot on here or not... but I am looking to purchase a new camera within the next month. I'm looking to spend no more than $1,000 on it and have tried doing research online and there are just soooo many different cameras out there that I feel a bit overwhelmed.
Most of my work will be done taking pictures of people/families... whether it be senior pictures, Christmas pictures, newborn pictures, wedding, engagement shoots & so on and so forth.
If possible can you please leave an unedited picture you took with that camera just so I can also compare the quality and please give me as much info as you can as to why you think this is the best camera. Ill take any information your willing to give because I want to feel confident when I purchase the camera.

Welcome to the forum.

It seems a nice idea to compare peoples photos from different cameras but depending on the websites people use to host shots (which often compress or sharpen shots etc), the settings different people use, different lenses etc, it likely wont really tell you that accurately which is better.

I will throw 1 suggestion out there. Canon 60d cameras are going cheap now, 600-700 dollars. I suggest that an add a fast standard lens (tamron 17-50mm f2.8, or sigma 17-50mm OS)-1000 ish dollars

Do you want just the body, or lenses also?

Cos the D7100 comes in at just under 950 new.

I'm looking for a body with maybe a couple lenses for now... and eventually overtime I can buy more lenses for it.
Thanks for the recommendation though all take a look at that camera.

Yea that's a good point you made:) It would be hard comparing photos. And I've heard of the Canon 60d... it is definitely one I am considering. From what I have seen it seems and read like a great camera.

I'm looking for a body with maybe a couple lenses for now... and eventually overtime I can buy more lenses for it.

Ok, well guess I need a little clarification. You stated most of your "work" would be done followed by a list of various events/reasons to take pictures - implying that your intent her is to do this professionally. If such is the case might I mention now that a $1000 budget for gear including the camera body and lenses is woefully inadequate if you intend to shoot a wedding professionally? Just trying to get a better handle on what it is you want to accomplish before I make any kind of recommendation.

Ok, well guess I need a little clarification. You stated most of your "work" would be done followed by a list of various events/reasons to take pictures - implying that your intent her is to do this professionally. If such is the case might I mention now that a $1000 budget for gear including the camera body and lenses is woefully inadequate if you intend to shoot a wedding professionally? Just trying to get a better handle on what it is you want to accomplish before I make any kind of recommendation.

Agreed.

The only thing I can think of would be a D7000 for $549-649 refurbished, SB 700 speed light $300-350 and a 35mm 1.8 or 50mm 1.8D for $100-200. I'm not sure about software, I think Photoshop is now $20.00 a month but if you have to buy it first, that could set you back $650.

The problem is there is more to shooting a weeding than simply buying a camera. You need lots of experience and understanding of photography. People get sued over bad wedding photos. I've been shooting for about 10 months and even I wouldn't go near a wedding…EVEN as a Second or Third shooter. I stick with landscapes and cityscapes…because they don't sue me lol

Nikon D5200!!!

Excellent camera going for less because of the D5300, you can get it with the basic 18-55mm and add another lens or two to reach 1000$

The D5200 has same sensor as the D7100 so picture quality is same.

Agreed.

The only thing I can think of would be a D7000 for $549-649 refurbished, SB 700 speed light $300-350 and a 35mm 1.8 or 50mm 1.8D for $100-200. I'm not sure about software, I think Photoshop is now $20.00 a month but if you have to buy it first, that could set you back $650.

The problem is there is more to shooting a weeding than simply buying a camera. You need lots of experience and understanding of photography. People get sued over bad wedding photos. I've been shooting for about 10 months and even I wouldn't go near a wedding…EVEN as a Second or Third shooter. I stick with landscapes and cityscapes…because they don't sue me lol

Same here - I'll stick with cheetahs because they are neither as vicious or as fast as your average bridezilla.. rotfl.

y_pugach said:
SNIP>Most of my work will be done taking pictures of people/families... whether it be senior pictures, Christmas pictures, newborn pictures, wedding, engagement shoots & so on and so forth. If possible can you please leave an unedited picture you took with that camera just so I can also compare the quality and please give me as much info as you can as to why you think this is the best camera. Ill take any information your willing to give because I want to feel confident when I purchase the camera.

Canon 5D Classic. Widely available used, in the $550 range.

Here's a picture made with a 5D classic
150477528.jpg

[see it larger here IMG_4012_Jenni_BW_V1.jpg photo - Derrel photos at pbase.com ]

I only mention the areas I would like to work in to show that I want a camera that is good at practicing with shooting people and portrait style photos rather than taking photos of nature and landscape since that really isn't what I am interested in. I don't have a $1,000 budget for the rest of my life. Once I get a good camera and lens or two & a little more experience... I can go from there and spend more money on more lenses/better cameras. And I'm not planning to shoot a wedding tomorrow. But in the future...yes... i plan to do weddings. Its been a dream of mine. As for now I attend weddings at least 8 times a year (if not more due to my huge church community and family) so even with a "cheaper" camera I can practice taking pictures and editing (for free not as a professional wedding photographer) and go from there. Let me take it one day at a time. For now just looking for a camera with 1-2 lenses under $1,000. The rest ill figure out... as time goes by.
Thank you for your advice on some good cameras ill most definitely look into those and do a little more research on them. See if they are for me;)

Last edited:
Ive read about the canon 5d. Seems like a great camera.

Im in the columbus area so i most deff will check out the place you mentioned. Thank you so much for that info.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back