Best cameras under 500$ under 1000$ ???

Sunnylee

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a Kodak EasyShare Z1285 Digital camera that I bought at wal-mart for like 100-300 bucks, can't remeber now. Well it is an ok camera but I think I want to upgrade a bit.

The most important feature to me would be a camera that can take multiple photos on it's own, like a camera with a timer, only one that takes more then just one or two photos before you have to go reset it again.
Is there cameras with a setting like that?

Sorry if a stupid question, I'm not a pro, I just want to be a suicide girl so I need to be able to take muliple photos. They expect 40-70 photos per set, and that's the final cut after you filter out all the bad ones. To get a better idea of what I am trying to accomplish look here....BUT FIRST BE WARNED IT CONTAINS NUDITY SuicideGirls

I will probably work with pros but for now I want to get some practice on my own.

Last edited:
Best camera under $500 that you can buy new, easy: Nikon D40, or if you can find one, Rebel XTi. I sold the last one at our ritz last week for $399. The D40 is $450.

Best camera under $1000, tie between the Nikon D5000 and the Rebel T1i. When we made prints at work, the D500 had better ISO 6400 performance, more AF options, just as fast, and the tilt-a-screen is pretty handy for video, but the rebel has that 920,000 dot screen and better ISO100 resolution.

If you're shooting auto, just get the D40 and another lens, a tripod, and some cool filters. Save your money, don't overbuy.

The D5000 though does have that intervelometer, which will make it shoot pictures, on its own, at a set frequency over a specified amount of time. For example, you can set it to shoot a picture every 5 seconds, every 30 minutes, every 22 seconds for 4 hours and so on..

So if you want to shoot pictures of a construction site and create a time-lapse video, the 5000 can do the grunt work on it's own.

sunnylee: in the future you might want to label that link as nsfw (not safe for work). i had no idea what a suicide girl was, and if i were to have clicked that link at work... :(

to throw another camera in the mix, the xsi also has this feature. i think it will take 9 or 10 pictures at the end of the countdown (forget what it stops at) as one of the self timer modes. sadly though there's no way that i've found to control the interval that the pictures are taken. it just does them one after another.

Oh **** sorry, I didn't know about nsfw.

Sunnylee,

Definitely label that link NSFW... I'm in the same boat as Chammer. I had no clue as to what a Suicide Girl was. I guess I find myself rather informed.

As for the cameras.

$500ish would be a Nikon D40. And for a thousand you could get a Nikon D5000, or a pre-owned Nikon D90 kit, with some searching. I prefer the D90 over the D5000 thanks to it's top mount display and in camera focusing motor. The in camera focusing motor leaves you with a lot more lens choices, some of which are very good for portraits. Like a Nikon 50mm f1.8D, that would be a good entry level lens for only about $100.

Spend the time, read here and read the manual, and you'll be working your way towards good portraits in no time. Good luck.

Well I really have to get whatever I choose off of amazon, so that is where I will be searching. I searched for intervalometer and there is a few That are compatable with several Canon camera and a few Nikon.

TR-C Timer Remote Control for Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT, XTi, XSi, XS, T1i & Canon Powershot G10 Digital SLR cameras by Satechi
$59.99

Opteka Timer Remote Control for Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT, XTi, XS & XSi Digital SLR Cameras by Opteka
$69.95
Canon TC80N3 Timer Remote Control for EOS D30, D60, D10, 1D, 1V & 20D SLR Cameras by Canon
$140.00
TR-G Timer Remote Control Shutter for Nikon D80 D70s by Satechi
$59.99

I searched all of the compatable cameras and the price range was $300 to a few grand.

Most of the new digital SLR's have an integrated remote system, compatible with the camera's internal self timer. And they're cheap... The Nikon unit is $15.57

I know that the integrated timer remotes are more capable than relying on the cameras internal timer, but if you're looking to save a bit on the inital set-up, going for the simpler of the options allows you to save for other pieces of your set-up (lighting, lenses, etc).

And Canon has one too. I just am a Nikon guy so they get credit first. :) Canon Remote

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
is there a particular brand that you lean towards when it comes to cameras?
if not then you should go and get the feel of different cameras and see which works for you best.
you can get good cameras under $500 as well as under $1000 in any of the top brands.

Most of the new digital SLR's have an integrated remote system, compatible with the camera's internal self timer. And they're cheap... The Nikon unit is $15.57

I know that the integrated timer remotes are more capable than relying on the cameras internal timer, but if you're looking to save a bit on the inital set-up, going for the simpler of the options allows you to save for other pieces of your set-up (lighting, lenses, etc).

And Canon has one too. I just am a Nikon guy so they get credit first. :) Canon Remote

Do these remotes have intervalometer? I did not see that anywhere in the description. Like I said that is the most important quality to me. I can't have a little remote in my hand in all of my pictures :lol:

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Under 1000$ would definitely be a refurbished Canon 50D.

Look on the web for camera stores that are going out of business or sell display models. I picked up a Canon 5d with a 28 -135mm IS F3.5 -5.6, Canon 580 EX II for $1,150.00. It was what you would call NOS (new old stock) so that means that it could not be sold as brand new because it was used as a display model. Good Luck, Craig

I recommend the Sony A200, probably A300 too.

Yeah, you should really edit your first post and make a big disclaimer before the link.

[
Do these remotes have intervalometer? I did not see that anywhere in the description. Like I said that is the most important quality to me. I can't have a little remote in my hand in all of my pictures :lol:

The intervalometer is not related to the remote. It's a function in the camera which you can use to shoot a certain number of shots over a selected period of time. Once it gets going, the camera shoots the sequence of photos automatically.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back