Best Digital Camera?

Brain916

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey Forum,
I am in the market for a new digital camera, but I want one that takes very nice pictures. What type of digital camera is the best on the market right now? Also, price range would be great.

Sorry if this is the wrong forum, but thanks for your help in advance!

if you get anything other than a Canon, you're waisting your money.

agreed lol. Just go to the store and try the one that fits you. Remember, It's not the camera, it's you that takes that bad shot :D

That's a very broad question.

The top of the line from the big manufacturers? Nikon DX3 or Canon 1Ds Mark III. You're well into the $6k range with those systems.

Back here on Earth for a hobbiest?

Upper end:
Nikon D700 and Canon 5D Mark II in the $2,500 to $3,500 range (if you want a lens with the camera or not)

Middle of the road:
Nikon D90 or D300, Canon 40D or 50D. They are in the $1,200+ range with lens. There are other good offerings from Sony, Pentax, etc. Google is your friend.

Entry level:
Nikon D80 or Canon Rebel XSi. These can be had in the $700 range with lens. Again there are competitive models from other manufacturers such as Pentax, Sony and Olympus.

Generally speaking, Nikon and Canon are the top contenders, but other brands certainly have their followings - albeit smaller than the two big dogs.

What's your budget?

I left out all the Point and Shoots...

Best digital camera on the market right now? The Hasselblad H3D-II-50, just $36,164.00 at your local (if you live in Manhattan) B&H retailer. ;) Ok, probably a little out of the price range....(certainly is out of mine).

Barring that, almost every digital camera out there today takes very nice pictures, from $100 point and shoots to $1000 pro-sumer DSLRs to highly-specialized medium-format cameras that run into the five figures. (Or, I should say, a photographer using those cameras can take very nice pictures. The cameras themselves don't do anything...) The question really is what kind of pictures you want to take -- what you want to do with the camera.

First, image quality -- just how "nice" do the pictures need to be? Are you making posters? Just taking snapshots?

Second, what is your familiarity with and interest in photography? Are you looking for a camera that's easy to pick up and use without learning such things as "aperture" and "ISO," or for a camera with lots of flexibility and manual control?

Third, what do you anticipate taking pictures of? Nature? Kids? Kids indoors? Sports?

Fourth, how portable? Does it need to be carried in a pocket / purse, or are you the type that wouldn't mind carrying around a DSLR?

And, finally, there's a camera for every price range -- so it's more a matter of finding the right camera for you in the price range that you want to pay.

Thanks for all your responses,
I am looking for a camera to take pictures of Sneakers,
with either a White background (setup by myself) or Black background - shiny (Which I can not get to work right.

I will also use the camera to take pictures on vacation, family, etc. But my main concern is the sneakers, because I have two other cameras that work good for outdoor use, but not really indoor.

I am not interested too much at this moment in learning the different types you mentioned I.E. Ipo(?) etc. But want to take really nice pictures easily.

My price range is between $300 - $600. Is this a fair price?

The camera I was using takes batteries, and dies (even when the batteries are right out of the box) every 10 minutes or so, taking about 4 - 7 pictures. So I think its time for a new camera.

with either a White background (setup by myself) or Black background - shiny (Which I can not get to work right.

I will also use the camera to take pictures on vacation, family, etc. But my main concern is the sneakers, because I have two other cameras that work good for outdoor use, but not really indoor.

I am not interested too much at this moment in learning the different types you mentioned I.E. Ipo(?) etc. But want to take really nice pictures easily.

The camera I was using takes batteries, and dies (even when the batteries are right out of the box) every 10 minutes or so, taking about 4 - 7 pictures. So I think its time for a new camera.
First of all learn how to use the camera you have now. Maybe try lowering the ISO since from what I noticed is that most P&S are set to either AUTO or 1600 when out of the box. As for the batteries try putting in rechargables. I had that with my last camera. ON rechargeables it lasted for days and on Alkaline it only lasted 2 minutes. If you decide to get a dSLR in the $300-450 range you can get a used body or a Nikon d40, for $450-600 you can get an Canon XTI i think. That's if you want a dSLR. If you want a P&S there are many out there.

The Canon 5D (not the Mark II) is an amazing camera and can be purchased used (and probably some places still have new ones in stock) for a great price. You'll get a really good FF camera for a fraction of what the new models are going for.

Sounds to me like you are looking for an upper end Point and Shoot, or maybe an entry level DSLR (Nikon D40/60/80 or the Canon equivalent) with a good fixed focal length lens to go along with the kit lens. Sounds doable for $600. :dunno:

FWIW, I used to take really good pictures with a Sony Cybershot 4.1mp p&s. It's 5 years old and still takes great pics.

The Canon 5D (not the Mark II) is an amazing camera and can be purchased used (and probably some places still have new ones in stock) for a great price. You'll get a really good FF camera for a fraction of what the new models are going for.

I don't think that the 5D is suitable for this person. Its much too advanced and is way too expenisive too. ANY simple DSLR will do, but yes, not all are equal.

Canon EOS 1000D/450D - Decent Features, Rather Small and Plasticky, Excellent Image Quality

Nikon D40/D40X/D60 - So-so features, small, but feels a tad better than the Canon, OK image quality (compared to other cameras in its class), Inexpensive

Pentax K2000 (K-m) - Decent features, small, decent build quality, OK image quality in JPEG, good in RAW

Pentax K200D - Lots of features, best built in its class (large body, weather sealing, metal chassis), OK image quality in JPEG, good image quality in RAW, slightly more expensive (but worth it IMHO)

Olympus E-420 - Decent features, very "compact" but fairly well built, OK image quality

Olympus E-520 - Lots of features, fairly good build quality (but not as good as Pentax), nice medium size, Fairly Decent image quality (good compared to others in JPEG, beating Pentax and Nikon, and matching Canon, but it can't compete with Canon and Pentax in RAW)

Sony A200 - Decent features, nice big size, solid but feels a bit plastic, Fairly good image quality (about same as Olympus E-520)

Basically they all have their strengths and weaknesses. Just pick whichever you like. It's the photographer that makes the difference in a photo. I suggest that you practice more with your P&S before moving onto a DSLR. A P&S should take pictures of sneakers just fine if you know how to adjust certain basic settings.

Last edited:
Yeah, it sounds like you have good options. If you want a point and shoot, the Canon G10 is in that range, and is about the top of the line for point and shoots -- though there are similar options from Nikon and others. Or, for a DSLR, you could go with a basic Nikon D40 or Canon XS for in that range -- that might give you more depth of field and a little more control. Either approach would support an external flash -- that's good, because I looked at your other post about trying to get pictures of sneakers, and I think the look you're trying to achieve needs better lighting more than it needs a better camera.

I think the biggest problem for the OP is he wants to take what amounts to studio shots. That requires, obviously, some element of studio setup. It's hard to impossible to get the lighting right without investing in some sort of lighting such as a couple of flashes, softboxes/umbrella's, standed etc.

The Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III will take all the sneaker pictures you want. For about $7000.

But in all seriousness, if you aren't worried about FPS, may I recommend the Fuji S3? It is slow but has the best image quality I have ever seen, besides the S5 of course.

The Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III will take all the sneaker pictures you want. For about $7000.

But in all seriousness, if you aren't worried about FPS, may I recommend the Fuji S3? It is slow but has the best image quality I have ever seen, besides the S5 of course.

LOL - I take it your joking?

For what the OP needs the last thing is to spent 1000's on body/lens.

The list suggested by sultan is very well composed and about the level he needs.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back