Best DSLR for £300?

Don't be put off with this old sensor talk. The 700d will be a great upgrade over your own 350d and you have lenses to use on it. It has higher frame rate, more megapixels, swivel screen , better focus and overall its a great camera. Buy it, enjoy it

Is the canon 750D a better camera than the 700D or is it the other way round?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

750/760D use the new sensor, processing and AF, it's better in every way.
550D-600D-650D-700D are all virtually the same re: image quality, they use the same 18mpix sensor (as does the 60D and 7D).

750 is better but you did say 300 pounds

I did yeah but Ive been looking and i may be able to push for a 750D

How much is a d750?

It's £415 for the body lens, memory card and carry bag so I could possibly get an extra few quid for one :)

Every DSLR currently marketed will be a noticeable improvement over your current body. Normally a body upgrade isn't significant (the exception being that going to full-frame bodies from a crop-frame body usually provides a noticeable jump in the ability to shoot at higher ISO with lower noise, but even "entry" level full-frame bodies are expensive. A 6D "body only" is just a bit over £1300). But as the 350D is a very old body, everything on the market will be a noticeable upgrade.

While there are lots of nice feature upgrades (e.g. the T5i has a capacitive touch-screen articulating display), if you ignore all the "nice to have" features and just look at the images, the new bodies provide much better handling at high ISO and still keeping the noise levels low. They also have improved focusing systems. Video is built-in to everything (I never shoot video -- so for a lot of people that's nothing to rave about.)

A new Canon body will still be compatible with your existing lenses (with the caveat that *some* older 3rd party lenses may not work correctly. This is rare, but 3rd parties "reverse engineer" the camera interface and they perform testing using only the cameras available on the market. So if a future camera model comes out using a part of the body/lens interface that the third party has never tested, the lens wouldn't know how to handle that. But if this does happen, some third parties can either re-chip or re-flash lens firmware to work correctly again.)

I'm just checking prices at places like Amazon UK and I see that a "new" 700D body & EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM" kit lens is £389. Oddly... if the "body" only version of the same camera costs ... £8 more expensive (you may as well get the new "kit" lens since it's got better optics, faster & quieter focusing, and better image stabilization then the version that would have come with your current camera.)

A "refurbished" body will usually save quite a nice chunk of change but the Canon line site doesn't list refurbished bodies in the UK... they link to a eBay store in the UK for refurbished products and that store doesn't list any products for sale... at all (did they actually run out of everything due to heavy holiday shopping? Or do they no longer list refurbished products via their eBay store.) Anyway, here in the US, for example, a "new" 700D (which is called a "Rebel T5i" over here) is $649, but the "refurbished" version is $399 (about £265).

Keep in mind, much photo gear sold as refurbished is simply returned merchandise that the big box and mega-retailers send BACK to the camera makers. Not damaged good, not defective goods, but stuff that was purchased by a retail customer, and then returned to the retailer, who returned the stock to Canon or Nikon. Once-purchased, returned good can NOT be legally sold as "NEW" merchandise, and so, especially on current model stock, you can be pretty confident that the item that was refurbished is not that old, and can take a good chance that it also has not been used all that much.

Think of much refurbished camera gear as having been created by significant others who screamed, "You paid HOW MUCH for that damned thing? TAKE IT BACK!"

I'd kick myself pretty hard if I could add just a few $$ and get the latest and best (arguably, that or the 70D/7DmarkII sensor)
entry level dSLR from Canon compared to almost 6 year old tech in the 700D (the sensor from 550D). That said, the 550D works
just fine (check my Flickr link below) with good lenses.

Check WEX used for a 7D - you can get some refurbished/second hand for around your £300 to £400 bracket and its a fantastic improvement in body performance over your 350D (went from a 400D to a 7D myself - only for a lot more back when the 7D was a lot newer)

Most reactions

Back