Best Enlarger Lens for the money?

mjhoward

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.michaeljeremie.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm not sure if it is more appropriate to ask here or in the Macro forum but I've recently bought the Nikon PB-4 bellows for macro work. I've decided to try enlarger lenses with the bellows for various reasons and was wondering what some of the better bang-for-the-buck enlarger lenses are. I'm looking at picking up a couple for use with different magnifications and working distances. Right now, it seems like the Nikkor EL-50/2.8 and the EL-105/5.6 are good quality and relatively cheap lenses. Is there any reason I should look at something different (other than the EL-63/2.8 which seems hard to find)? I would like to keep with the M39 mount so I only need one adapter.

EL-Nikkor 63mm, any Schneider Componon or Rodenstock Rodagon (especially the APO versions), Beseler Color Pro 50/2.8, Computar 50/2.8, Leitz Focotar 100mm, and the big daddy: EL-Nikkor APO 105/5.6N (rare and expensive)

Thanks for the helpful post. I wanted to see if I could get the 63/2.8 but all I was able to find was the 63/3.5 on ebay for a whopping $880! I'll check out the others you mentioned. BTW, how do they compare against the two I listed? I'm not very familiar with enlarging lenses.

I know the 63mm EL-Nikkor only by reputation and the writings of a reviewer I trust named Ctein who published reviews and specs of a number of top enlarger lenses in his book, "Post Exposure" which I recommend. He has a table in that book with details on a number of the best lenses. Some of which I've used and some not but I have come to trust Ctein's findings and opinions.

I'd say Enzyte if I were to guess.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back