Best Lense for Natural Light Photography (family photos)

Suziellen

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello!
Currently I have 2 lenses a Nikon 18-55 and 55-200. I am looking for another lense but wanted to know what is the best lens for natural light photography. I do a lot of family photos, seniors, animals, children, etc....
Does anyone have any suggestions?
I also want one that's super quick and sharp for when I am shooting children.
Any input would be great
Thank you!

Last edited:
Depends on the size of the room , available light, how much you want to spend, and your body but I can give you some ideas.

DX Body:

35mm 1.8 DX - Good lens for interior shots where light is less than adequate
50mm 1.8D - another good low light lens and very inexpensive, just a tad longer than the 35

Zoom:

12-24 DX - good lens with an f4 aperture, not bad in low light but not great

For FX I would recommend the 24mm 1.4 or the 14-24 2.8, both are quite expensive but well worth the money. Some would say the 35mm 1.4 too but the bokeh on that lens is a bit blocky for my taste. The 85mm 1.4 or 1.8 is a bit long for interior shots but they are best portrait lenses Nikon has south of the 200 f/2 IMHO..

GL -B

Thanks you! I shoot mostly outside. I have a Nikon D3000 which does fairly well. I don't want to spend over $500 untill I get a better camera. Aren't those primary lenses? How is the 50mm outside in natural light?
Thanks again for the info.

If outside , find a used 80-200 2.8 know you won't be disappointed. Believe they have two types so ask which is best. I have the 70-200 2.8vr and that stays on the camera if outdoors.
-
Shoot well, Joe

ooh outside..

Yes, different story.

really depends on how much you want to spend but I agree with Joe, the 80-200 2.8 is a great lens. If they are closer a 24-70 is a good mid range to have, Both Nikon and Sigma produce exceptional versions of that lens.

If you want something that's outdoor and all around the 18-200 DX lens has had some pretty good reviews but it is a variable aperture lens...

I have the 18-200. It works but has all the issues that any of the consumer large range zooms have. I have managed to get some good images from it but it is certainly not a pro lens and will always be soft especially at the extremes.

I do like it and it is excellent for an all rounder if you want it all but don't want to carry it all.

My Flickr is full of images that have come off that lens.

Thank you for your input!! I feel like I could get clearer pictures with a different lens. I do a lot of portraits outside and I am just wanting more out of my camera and lens. Since I don't understand lenses that much yet I want one with less zoom and one that's faster I guess. I don't know what I need haha. I do a lot of shooting children, couples, animals.....and I keep reading about prime lenses...so maybe I need a good mid range lens like you said.

Thank you for your input!! I feel like I could get clearer pictures with a different lens. I do a lot of portraits outside and I am just wanting more out of my camera and lens. Since I don't understand lenses that much yet I want one with less zoom and one that's faster I guess. I don't know what I need haha. I do a lot of shooting children, couples, animals.....and I keep reading about prime lenses...so maybe I need a good mid range lens like you said.

My camera came with the 55-300mm and the 18-55mm. I then bought the 50mm f/1.4 and it doesn't leave my camera. I had heard such great things about fast prime lens and I haven't been disappointed. I'm always taking shots of my daughter with it. Its fast, sharp, and light! It's around 500.00 but the 50mm f/1.8 is around 200.00 and is just as good. Everyone needs the nifty fifty! :)

It looks like the 24-70 is an amazing lens by all the reviews too, but at this time I can't spend that much...any other comparable suggestions for under $600??

I think that will be my next purchase. I keep hearing and reading how nice it is to have a prime lens. When I do 2 hour photo family sessions or senior shoots I move a lot so I don't really need a massive zoom lens. So I think I will purchasse a 50 mm. Does it have auto focus for a D3000? I borrowed a friends and the auto focus isn't compatible on my camera. :( Also, what do you know about wide angled lenses? Do they capture more of the picture? Any help would be great. :)

Suziellen said:
It looks like the 24-70 is an amazing lens by all the reviews too, but at this time I can't spend that much...any other comparable suggestions for under $600??

For under 600 I still say a 50mm.

Do you want a zoom or a prime lens?

You really can't go wrong with the 50 especially since you have 2 other zooms that work fine outside. The 50 will work great inside, outside and in low light.

There are tons of great lenses under 600.00 but they won't autofocus on your camera

Since I have two zoom lenses I think I will go with the 50 mm prime, but does it auto focus?

I want the 50 mm but it doesn't auto focus on the D3000? :(

Yes it does. Make sure you get the 50mm f/1.8 AF-S or the 50mm f/1.4 AF-S

If it doesn't say AF-S it won't autofocus.

Most reactions

Back