Best lense?

JRV0528

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm new to DLSR camera and I want to take my rebel t3i to a supercross event. From the stands, what lense would give me the best pictures? Also what shutter speed should i use to catch action shots? Thanks for info anyone can provide.

1. How far are the stands from the action?
2. Are you looking for closeups or wider shots?
3. How much are you looking to spend?

To most people #3 is most important

Depending on what you can spend a 70-200 2.8 (or f/4) or a 300 2.8 (or f/4) should do the job but it really depends on how far away you are and what you want out of it.

You will need a min of 1/500 Sec to freeze action but you don't need to freeze it all the time, lower speeds like 1/250 will give you soem creative effects.

I'd also expect that most places won't let you in the stands with anything as big as a 300mm f2.8 let alone a 600mm f4! 70-200mm f2.8 would probably get in without much trouble unless they blanket down a "no DSLRs" rule.

Indoor or out? Other relevant questions already asked. And if you go Big Mike's route, I would recommend at least a mono-pod, hand holding that beast would not be fun. LOL.

The 70-200 2.8 is an excellent lens (and currently on sale). It's not small or light. If you can find one at a local store, you will want to hold it first before pulling the trigger. Besides a being a very fine lens, it holds it's value extremely well. I am currently in the market for this lens. You only save a couple of hundred going used.

In the future you should be careful using terms like best without a full accounting of what it is your trying to accomplish.

BlairWright said:
1. How far are the stands from the action?
2. Are you looking for closeups or wider shots?
3. How much are you looking to spend?

To most people #3 is most important

Depending on what you can spend a 70-200 2.8 (or f/4) or a 300 2.8 (or f/4) should do the job but it really depends on how far away you are and what you want out of it.

You will need a min of 1/500 Sec to freeze action but you don't need to freeze it all the time, lower speeds like 1/250 will give you soem creative effects.

I have the canon 55-250mm lense with image stabilizer. I was looking for both close up and wide shots. Its a dome so the distance is gonna be pretty far. Played around in the back yard with it today and i think it will work great. My biggest thing was The shutter speed to use. Thanks for you info.

Overread said:
I'd also expect that most places won't let you in the stands with anything as big as a 300mm f2.8 let alone a 600mm f4! 70-200mm f2.8 would probably get in without much trouble unless they blanket down a "no DSLRs" rule.

Yeah, i called the guest services and explained i had a 55-250mm lens on a Rebel t3i and they said it shouldnt be an issue. We'll see how that turns out.

iresq said:
Indoor or out? Other relevant questions already asked. And if you go Big Mike's route, I would recommend at least a mono-pod, hand holding that beast would not be fun. LOL.

The 70-200 2.8 is an excellent lens (and currently on sale). It's not small or light. If you can find one at a local store, you will want to hold it first before pulling the trigger. Besides a being a very fine lens, it holds it's value extremely well. I am currently in the market for this lens. You only save a couple of hundred going used.

In the future you should be careful using terms like best without a full accounting of what it is your trying to accomplish.

Thanks for the info. New to forums as well as DSLRs

70-200 2.8
bigthumb.gif

I'm afraid the 250 @ 5.6 is not going to be fast enough. But give a try. Good learning experience.

Most reactions

Back