What's new

Best point and shoot for everyday use

Ihasacamera

TPF Noob!
Joined
Apr 25, 2009
Messages
33
Reaction score
0
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys. My brother is trying to find a good p&s for his wife for everyday use. I know they are planning a trip to a national park in a few weeks to catch some foliage and for their dogs and what not. He told me that he doesn't want something real complicated but will produce decent results in, I'm assuming, auto mode.

I wish I had a clue about p&s's for him but after researching slrs and what not, reading up on p&s's is a daunting task.

Thanks a bunch for the help :)
 
i have a Nikon Cool pix s200 as a P&S .. its a great camera... i bought it for my wife, because she didn't like using the DSLR's she loves it because its easy to use and small.. fits right in her purse.. it cost me around $250 bucks.. like a year ago.. I'm sure that nikon has newer models now, but, I would recommend any of the cool pix models.. they seem like great cameras for everyday type stuff.

http://nikon.ca/en/Coolpix.aspx
 
Some of the newer ones come with a wide-angle lens (equiv. to 24mm). Aside from that, they have mostly the same features as far as I can tell, and all of them will have an easy-mode. I was looking at getting a P&S and the only things that stuck out were the aforementioned wide-angle and new water-proof cams coming out. Other than that, I don't know any model names or anything.
 
Well, there are two types of P&S -- There are the simple types and then there are the high-end ones that have alot of features of a dSLR without the interchangeable lenses.

I bought my kids one of the latter -- a Panasonic Lumix Z28 - before our trip to Alaska in June and they made me look bad with some of the images they got (they're 12 y/o)

The only problem with it is that it is a bit bigger than your typical P&S so tough to stick in a pocket or handbag.
 
I don't own a p&s at the moment but am in the market for one. Since I am on a tight budget I was looking at the $100-$300 price range. I have not yet decided on which camera I am getting yet but am looking at a few hopefuls.
The
Sony - Cyber-shot 12.1-Megapixel Digital Camera

Nikon - Coolpix 10.0-Megapixel Digital Camera

Sony - Cyber-shot 12.1-Megapixel Digital Camera


There are some more but I didn't feel like making a full list :meh:
In short I would go with a Sony, Nikon or Canon for the amount a accessories on the market and they are good at making reasonably priced p&s cameras. I bold'd Canon for some models are able to be hacked to have more functions - i.e. RAW shooting.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom