Best portrait lens for OMD EM5?

PinkPoodle

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello!!

Let me start that I am a proud new owner of my OMD EM5, and pretty new to the whole photography thing. I have a 50mm 1.8 lens for my Canon that I love but I hear a lot of photographers like shooting in 85mm. Looking for recommendations on the best portrait photography lens for the OMD EM5 and I'm slightly confused on the micro 3/4 lenses. Is there a different conversion for these lenses??

Thanks,
Angie

Conversion on Canon is x1.6. Conversion on m43 is x2. So for example a 50 on your Canon gives a field of view similar to 80 on a full frame, 45mm on m43 gives field of view similar to 90 on full frame,

Conversion on Canon is x1.6. Conversion on m43 is x2. So for example a 50 on your Canon gives a field of view similar to 80 on a full frame, 45mm on m43 gives field of view similar to 90 on full frame,

Thank you SO much! Now.... to decide on getting either the 45mm or the 25mm for the Olympus.

You have 2 similar threads going there, I was saying on other one I'd imagine the 45mm is better, especially if you have room to move a little back from your subject.

The main problem with m43 portraits is it is harder to get as much separation between your subject and background unless you have lenses with extremely fast wide apertures. Of course this may not always be the type of portrait you want

Here are 2 people shots wide open with the 45mm on an EM5

Boy by jaomul, on Flickr

Street music 3 by jaomul, on Flickr

It is a sharp nice lens even at f1.8, but as you can see by the shot below the aps-c type camera with a 50mm seperates the subject a little better
Rogue by jaomul, on Flickr

Generally the 85mm that pros use is on a fullframe camera (not always of course but 85mm is considered a very good portrait focal length). On the EM5 the 45mm f1.8 is closest affordable option, giving a field of view of 90mm, but the f1.8 with the way this camera works as I was aying wont quite give same separation at similar shooting distances. Of course you can make it work very well, its just a little different. I believe Panasonic do a 42.5 mm f1.2 which is apparently a good option if money isn't an issue. The f1.2 should benefit these type of shots

I personally would go with the 75mm for portrait. It's SO beautiful and it's better than the 45 from my opinion.

I had the OM-D E-M1 and this lens and OMG it produced amazing shots. The 45 was good, but it's more ... not built as good ;)

Generally the 85mm that pros use is on a fullframe camera (not always of course but 85mm is considered a very good portrait focal length). On the EM5 the 45mm f1.8 is closest affordable option, giving a field of view of 90mm, but the f1.8 with the way this camera works as I was aying wont quite give same separation at similar shooting distances. Of course you can make it work very well, its just a little different. I believe Panasonic do a 42.5 mm f1.2 which is apparently a good option if money isn't an issue. The f1.2 should benefit these type of shots

I REALLY appreciate you taking the time to give me your advice!! Yes, I also posted this question on a thread in another forum. I'm literally brand new to this site and wanted to make sure I placed it in the correct forum where people would see it and give me their advice.

I have read and even re-read all of these posts and going to make a decision in the very near future! :)

I personally would go with the 75mm for portrait. It's SO beautiful and it's better than the 45 from my opinion.

I had the OM-D E-M1 and this lens and OMG it produced amazing shots. The 45 was good, but it's more ... not built as good ;)

Thanks!! I will look into the 75mm!!

Thanks!! I will look into the 75mm!!

Just remember the 75mm is fab, but you need lots of room to take even a half body portrait

Yeah, as of right now I don't want to have to be too far away. I would like to also use the lens for newborn shoots.

I'm thinking for now I will order the 45mm for the EM5 since I do have a Canon camera with a 50mm 1.8. Then perhaps for Christmas Santa can bring me the 25mm for the EM5. :) I think I've been a good girl! haha

You can't really go wrong with the 45

45/ 1.8 and call it a day. It is an awesome lens and does not cost near as much as a 60 or 75.

85mm was my favorite people lens on my full frame cameras so if I went m4/3's i would definitely make the 45mm my first purchase.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back