Best Portrait Lenses For Nikon

I love my "cream machine" aka 85 1.4D.

Another vote for the 85mm f1.4(G in my case!). The 70-200mm f2.8 does a great job too!

Being that you use a D3000, I would suggest either the 50mm f1.8G or 85mm f1.8G. Both are great for the money!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I have a 50 1.4, that I use to love using, however lately I seem to not like it as much :(

FYI
Just because you can have a lens with a aperture of f/1.4 or f/1.8 doesn't mean you should use f/1.4 for doing general portraits and such. One has to really learn how to use it for their specific situation. Most portraits are great at f/5.6 .. from the few portraitures that I've done.

The reason your options are only f/1.8 and f/1.4, etc is because they don't make a f/4 or f/5.6 smallest aperture lens. of course you can set it to f/5.6 if you bought a f/1.8 lens. Most primes you will see are at least f/2.8

I'd like to get my hands on a 135mm f/2.0 DC

cost:performance the 85mm 1.8G is still hard to beat.

Last edited:

Agree 100%. Tried a "G" but prefer the "D".

Me too, for people pictures, I take the 1.4 AF-D, but leave the 1.8 G model at home...the D has prettier bokeh, and renders things less clinically.

For the D3000 shooter, honestly, I think the best overall portrait lens would still be the 70-200 VR-1...super-sweet bokeh, and the lens is slender-barreled and lightish, and easy to handle. I know a lot of people say a 50mm lens is a good portrait lens on APS-C, but I do not agree with that at all.

Agree 100%. Tried a "G" but prefer the "D".

Me too, for people pictures, I take the 1.4 AF-D, but leave the 1.8 G model at home...the D has prettier bokeh, and renders things less clinically.

For the D3000 shooter, honestly, I think the best overall portrait lens would still be the 70-200 VR-1...super-sweet bokeh, and the lens is slender-barreled and lightish, and easy to handle. I know a lot of people say a 50mm lens is a good portrait lens on APS-C, but I do not agree with that at all.

Why do you not agree? I really want something like the 85mm so I can have some zoom, but I just don't have the money. Would you suggest I wait until I do to buy it or just go with the 50mm?

Most reactions

Back