Best rangefinder for iso 3200 film?

Discussion in 'Film Discussion and Q & A' started by kreuzberg, Jul 20, 2009.

1. McQueen278

McQueen278 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I vote Olympus XA (Not an XA2) and small meter.

Edit: Nevermind. I forgot that it was an aperture priority camera. I'd suggest an old contax/kiev. There are some sweet lenses like the Jupiter 12 which is a 35mm f/2.8 Zeiss clone and very inexpensive. My Kiev 4a(b) only cost me $20USD and came with a nice little Jupiter 8 50mm f/2. Add a decent ambient meter to the equation and you're in business.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2009
  2. Actor

Actor TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Ilford rates the film at 3200, not 1000, with a disclaimer that the 3200 rating was obtained through "practical results" instead of the method specified by the ISO, which supposedly gives 1000. They also state that the film can be exposed from 400 to 6400. If you shoot at anything other than 3200, I'd advise letting the lab know. If you process it yourself then definitely download Ifford's data sheet.

If you are willing to shoot at 800 why not just shoot Ilford 400 and push it one stop?

A rangefinder camera is not likely to have TTL metering, and the meter is not going to automatically set the exposure. You probably look through the viewfinder and "center the needle." If the highest setting for the meter is 800 then set the ISO for 800, center the needle, and then stop down two stops. You can do this by setting a faster shutter speed or smaller aperture. Change shutter speed by a factor of 4 (1/60 becomes 1/250); change aperture by a factor of 2 (4 becomes 8, 5.6 becomes 11).

3. kreuzberg

kreuzberg TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I think I'll try and find a ql17 within my budget, its got a fast lens and its also fixed. I looked at the kiev 4a and I liked it but I know Id be tempted to buy other lenses for it so getting a fixed lens model should help me kerb my spending :lol:

4. McQueen278

McQueen278 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

You can pick up a Kiev lens for $20-$40 on average and that is the more expensive wide angle. Just thought you might like to know!