Help, Canon film camera not winding the film correctly?

samdown55

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about how I could solve this issue I am having with my film camera.

My Canon EOS 300 was loading my Kentmere, 400 ISO, 24 exposures film perfectly fine before but for the last couple of times, it has either pulled the film strip fully out of the canister (it was just all wrapped up around the second column) or it made a whirring/ winding sound every time I pressed the shutter button, not allowing photos to be taken. The camera was also displaying an incorrect number of exposures on the display (it said 26 instead of the 24 that the roll actually has?) It might just be that the camera (the winding mechanics) aren't working anymore or maybe an issue with the film itself?

Could someone help me, thank you. :)

Hi - I've moved your thread over to the Film Q&A forum where you might get quicker responses.

pulled the film strip fully out of the canister
Sounds like the film was not attached properly to the reel during manufacture. Kentmere is "low end" beginner/student film.

(it said 26 instead of the 24 that the roll actually has?)
Yes, some ESO cameras will give "extra" exposures. My Canon Rebel Ti gives me 37 instead of 36 exp. Drives me nuts (I'm a Libra) cause my Canon A2E gives me a perfect 36 exp.

I think the OP is saying the camera never stopped winding the film when it was loaded until it was pulled out of the canister all the way. It never stopped to let an image be exposed.

I think the OP is saying the camera never stopped winding the film when it was loaded until it was pulled out of the canister all the way. It never stopped to let an image be exposed.
Ah.....then the camera would be at fault. I remember my Pop had a Ricoh P&S that did that and he had to get another one.

Sounds like the film was not attached properly to the reel during manufacture. Kentmere is "low end" beginner/student film.

Yes, some ESO cameras will give "extra" exposures. My Canon Rebel Ti gives me 37 instead of 36 exp. Drives me nuts (I'm a Libra) cause my Canon A2E gives me a perfect 36 exp.
Ahh ok, thank you. Are these "extra exposures" going to mess up and double expose the negatives though?

Are these "extra exposures" going to mess up and double expose the negatives though?
The extra exp will not double expose as the Canon uses an infrared detection system for perfect alignment. My Canon EOS cameras gives me a perfect space between the frames and has never overlapped. Although my Canon EOS A2E can do double exp up to 9 times on one frame, again perfectly aligned.

If you wish to do double exposure with your model EOS look to page 56 of this manual.....

Most reactions

Back