Best settings for catching snowboarders in action?

Sydkid

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was asked to shoot some snowboarders in action. There will be high contrast between them and the snow. How do I ensure a proper exposure while catching them in motion?

Thanks.

In most cases, you probably want to properly expose for the subject, rather than the snow...so the snow will end up being blown out.

A lot of snow in a scene will throw the meter off, so I'd suggest using manual mode rather than any of the auto modes. To find what settings will give you a good exposure, you could use a grey card or even meter off of your palm (and open up one stop from there). Try some test shots and see if that works for you...if not, adjust and test again.

As for catching them in motion...that's all about timing and shutter speed. While keeping the proper exposure, make sure that you have a shutter speed that is fast enough to catch (and freeze) the action. This may mean using a large aperture (small F number) and maybe a higher ISO setting as well. Just remember that when in manual mode, if you change one variable, you will need to change another to keep the same exposure.

Most reactions

Back