Best SLR for beginners

cherry30

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am contemplating on buying an SLR that is inexpensive. What is the best one for me? Right now, I only have a digicam that has been with me for 2 years now. Please point me in the right direction. Something cheap will suffice. Thanks.

Nikon FE, Solid film camera readilly available for under a hundred dollars.

I'm going to assume you want a Digital SLR, and tell you to get a Sony a200. They're new, have a 18-70 lens, built in anti-shake, and all for the same price of a D40.

Pentax K1000. Auto nothing will teach you everything. Tough as nails and can be used as a weapon in a pinch......

Vince

I bought a used sony a100. I had to send it in because the shutter was sticking every once in a while. I wanted it fixed before it got worse. In the meantime I borrowed a nikon d70 from the camera shop.

I have to say I like mine so much better.

I didn't know the camera shop rented cameras out. Maybe that is one way to see what you like. I don't know how expensive it is to rent them though. I got to use it for free since mine was being worked on.

Wow! Your response got me confused. LOL. I got five different kinds from 5 replies. I have to check them one by one to see what will fit me best. THANK YOU so much.

Wow! Your response got me confused. LOL. I got five different kinds from 5 replies. I have to check them one by one to see what will fit me best. THANK YOU so much.

You got such varied replies because your question was very general. Can you give any more details? Do you want digital or film? What kind of things do you like to shoot? What is your experience level and how seriously do you want to take photography? Do you have a budget in mind?

Do you want a film SLR or a digital SLR? Keep in mind that both of them will help you learn a lot about photography, though one may be more harsh to your mistakes than the other. :p

I use Canon equipment, and know little about Nikon. Thus, if you're looking at film, anything under the Canon 1 series will be cheap for you to come by (think less than $250). For digital SLRs, it really depends on your budget. If you look hard, you can find a Canon 40D for less than $800 and a 20D for less than $400.

If you can afford it, I would recommend starting with a "prosumer" camera like the Canon 20D, 30D and 40D. The 10D uses antiquated technology, but is cheap to obtain and well-built all the same. If you want to go even cheaper, you can pick up a 300D, a lightweight 10D, for $200 or so (with the stock lens). It's all plastic, so it's lightweight, but it's designed very well (I dropped it from a few feet, and it survived!).

Good luck!

Please people get details from OP on what their budget is, what they like, if they have any other equipment, if they have friends (who may loan them stuff) that have a certain type, etc. before responding.

Without that info I could recommend everything from a Canon Rebel XTi to a Nikon D3 and be well within acceptable.

I would not recommend a film SLR for many reasons. One being that there is no instant gratification. You cannot see your photos after you take them, which means you cannot correct mistakes. Also, unless you can get a darkroom and all the required chemicles, processing will be immensely expensive, and you will have paid for a DSLR withing a month or two.

As for DSLRs, I would reccomend a Nikon D70s. It has a built in AF motor, and is great to grow into. The D40 would be the ultimate beginner body because of how easy it is to use, however it has some major flaws, such as no aperture dial and lack of in body AF motor. The D70s may not be as glamorous as the D40, however if you are more serious about photography and want a better camera for slightly more money, I would go with the D70s.

The D70s body will go for about $350, which is as cheap as its gonna get for a DSLR.

Please people get details from OP on what their budget is, what they like, if they have any other equipment, if they have friends (who may loan them stuff) that have a certain type, etc. before responding.

Without that info I could recommend everything from a Canon Rebel XTi to a Nikon D3 and be well within acceptable.

Why? A Canon 1DS MKIII will fit their needs perfectly.

For a little over $1k USD and some patience, you could get get 3 manual fast K-mount primes (wide , normal, telephoto), a Pentax film body (MX, ME-super, K1000), medium autofocus zoom, and a used but still good Pentax DSLR. Spend $300 more and you can upgrade that DSLR to a more capable K10D with 10mp sensor and prism viewfinder.

The 3 manual lenses will be faster and higher optical grade than most consumer kits lenses and can be shared between the film SLR and DSLR. If you don't care about the autofocus zoom (for convenience), nix it for even nicer manual primes. It is a whole system that can carry a beginner well for several years (assuming you don't get infected by G.A.S) at the cost of some would spend on a new Canon/Nikon with a kit lens.

If possible, go to a camera store and have them demonstrate how to use manual K-mount lenses on a newer Pentax/Samsung DSLR. There are also similar options (a bit more expensive though) from the Nikon crowd.

Last edited:
canon 450d that is the best choice i prefer for beginners..but i am not comfortable with the grip unlike the 40d..i got friends that is using 450d an he love it.

Most reactions

Back