Best SLR for beginners

Someone made a point in a previous thread like this... Was it VI? The best camera for a beginner is basically the best camera they can afford... lesser bodies are often limited in one way or another, and that can be really annoying and hamper the learning process. In the Nikon line, I tell people to buy NO LESS than a D80.

However, to my earlier point, we still need to know more about OP and their needs to really answer this question effectively.

I would not recommend a film SLR for many reasons. One being that there is no instant gratification. You cannot see your photos after you take them, which means you cannot correct mistakes. Also, unless you can get a darkroom and all the required chemicles, processing will be immensely expensive, and you will have paid for a DSLR withing a month or two.

As for DSLRs, I would reccomend a Nikon D70s. It has a built in AF motor, and is great to grow into. The D40 would be the ultimate beginner body because of how easy it is to use, however it has some major flaws, such as no aperture dial and lack of in body AF motor. The D70s may not be as glamorous as the D40, however if you are more serious about photography and want a better camera for slightly more money, I would go with the D70s.

The D70s body will go for about $350, which is as cheap as its gonna get for a DSLR.

I agree with your suggestion that it's easier to learn on a digital; it baffles me that so many think the opposite.

I suggest that new photographer start with digital to learn the basics of exposure, composition, and DOF... it's then a good idea to give film a go for a while to force yourself to slow down a bit, and also learn the benefits of film over digital and vice versa.

Most photographers that I admire select film or digital based upon need, it isn't one or the other.

You got such varied replies because your question was very general. Can you give any more details? Do you want digital or film? What kind of things do you like to shoot? What is your experience level and how seriously do you want to take photography? Do you have a budget in mind?

I would want a digital SLR and I am more interested in taking pics of people, kids in particular. For experience, I have nothing except for the usual point and shoot. As for the budget, under 400 would be okay.

Thanks.

When you narrow down your choice based on price and features, head to the store and hold and try a few of them to see how they fit and feel in your hand.

My first (and current) dSLR is a canon rebel XSI and I love it. Easy to learn with, good features, easy access. Cost my $800, you can get it a few hundred cheaper.

As for the budget, under 400 would be okay.
Thanks.

Canon 1000D
Newbie DSLR pick of 2008 that won't break your wallet IMO

$512 with 18-55mm kit lens; free shipping/ no tax
AND has ability to Autofocus with the Nifty-50 :D
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Canon-10-1MP-Digital-18-55mm-3-5-5-6/dp/B001CBKJGG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1224732479&sr=8-1[/ame]

For under $400, you're probably looking at a used previous generation setup. In the Nikon space a used D70, perhaps. You may also be able to find a used D40 in that price range but I haven't looked. Chris Burke would probably be able to tell you more ... I think he got his D50 for about that much.

I am contemplating on buying an SLR that is inexpensive. What is the best one for me? Right now, I only have a digicam that has been with me for 2 years now. Please point me in the right direction. Something cheap will suffice. Thanks.

I got a Canon EOS 350D one of the best cameras I have used.

Now you can get these quite cheap off the internet now :)

If you are looking for digital Canon is selling refurbished Rebel XT DSLRs for $400ish. At this time if your budget is $400 you are probably looking for something used. Anything put out by the major brands (Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Olympus, Sony...) in the last 4 years is pretty good; Nikon and Canon always seem a step ahead of the rest.

If you are looking for a 35mm SLR you can pretty much have your pick for under $200. Many good ones under $50. Again, anything by a major brand (and there are a lot more players in film SLRs) will probably do you good.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back