Best travel camera up to $400: A5000 vs G9x

lucasmodena

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm from Brazil and I'm going to NY next month and want to buy a new camera. I don't like taking my DSLRs to my trips because I need a compact camera to carry around, put on my wife's purse sometimes and even in my pocket if possible.

I used a Sony HX50V in my past trips and it served me well. I think the screen brightness and shooting speed were its bad points, but overall it was a good camera, but I decided to step up a bit.

I'm going for a new camera (won't have time to look for a used one) and my budget only goes up to $400. I'm taking no camera to the trip and my first leg is in NYC, so I'm going to buy it on the very first day, probably at B&H.

As I said, the camera has to be compact, but I can handle a small lens with it, and IQ must be as good as possible considering size and budget limitations. Zoom of at least 3x to make my life easier. It isn't for photography trips, but I want to take nice photos.

After a lot of research, I ended up with 2 different cameras in 2 different categories: Sony A5000 ($380) vs Canon G9X ($400).

I can handle both sizes, and both specs are ok. Becase they're in different categories, it's hard do find comparatives online. So my question is: which one will take better photos and videos (which is important too)? I'll be mostly using auto mode and different light conditions. I understand the G9X is smaller and easier to handle, but is the larger sensorof the A5000 worth the extra bulkiness?

Lucas

A 3X zoom is meaningless. a 1mm to 3mm zoom lens is a 3X zoom. Not useful but 3X zoom.

But you get the point, right? One of the cameras is a P&S and commonly have zoom measured in "X"s. But anyway, I'm not interested in a camera with lens starting at 1mm, I want something around both mentioned cameras.

I see I failed to mention that the A5000 comes with the 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS Zoom Lens.

A 3X zoom is meaningless. a 1mm to 3mm zoom lens is a 3X zoom. Not useful but 3X zoom.

But you get the point, right? One of the cameras is a P&S and commonly have zoom measured in "X"s. But anyway, I'm not interested in a camera with lens starting at 1mm, I want something around both mentioned cameras.

I get the point and but you are missing my point. 3X, 5X, 9X is a marketing gimmick. You need to know what kind of focal length you want and choose based on the focal length range you want/need. Here is a focal length/zoom tool that might help: Nikon | Imaging Products | NIKKOR Lens Simulator Select the DX body/lens for equivalency comparison.

All cameras makers list their lenses/cameras by focal length. The Canons focal length is listed as 28–84 mm F2–4.9 equivalent to a 35mm camera. This translates to wide angle to short telephoto. Plug those number into the simulator above and see what you get. Is that what you want/need. Same thing with the Sony.

The bigger issue is do you want a camera with a smaller 2017 sensor (G9 MkII) or an larger 2014 sensor (a5000). Bigger sensors are usually better but we are looking at 3 years of difference.

I get the point and but you are missing my point. 3X, 5X, 9X is a marketing gimmick. You need to know what kind of focal length you want and choose based on the focal length range you want/need. Here is a focal length/zoom tool that might help: Nikon | Imaging Products | NIKKOR Lens Simulator Select the DX body/lens for equivalency comparison.

I did get yours, but this is (supposed to be) a beginners forum, and even though I have DSLR cameras, I'm looking for just a travel camera. I don't think people looking for a P&S camera here are willing to be educated about it. I know that X's are marketing language, but I'm looking for a camera where I can fit a person with the statue of liberty on the background and it looks fine, and it has some zoom so I don't have to walk too much to frame something, that's all.

The bigger issue is do you want a camera with a smaller 2017 sensor (G9 MkII) or an larger 2014 sensor (a5000). Bigger sensors are usually better but we are looking at 3 years of difference.

That was the question in the first place. Is this big 2014 APS-C sensor better than the newer 1" on the canon? I just want to hear from people that know at least one of them to help me decide.

I get the point and but you are missing my point. 3X, 5X, 9X is a marketing gimmick. You need to know what kind of focal length you want and choose based on the focal length range you want/need. Here is a focal length/zoom tool that might help: dy/lens for equivalency comparison.

I did get yours, but this is (supposed to be) a beginners forum, and even though I have DSLR cameras, I'm looking for just a travel camera. I don't think people looking for a P&S camera here are willing to be educated about it. I know that X's are marketing language, but I'm looking for a camera where I can fit a person with the statue of liberty on the background and it looks fine, and it has some zoom so I don't have to walk too much to frame something, that's all.

That was the question in the first place. Is this big 2014 APS-C sensor better than the newer 1" on the canon? I just want to hear from people that know at least one of them to help me decide.

I don't know which is better but if you have a Canon DSLR also look at the Canon mirrorless camera options - M5, M6, etc. works great with the older Canon lens
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorles

Most reactions

New Topics

Back