Best USED DSLR Camera - Nikon or others

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by kenmasters, Jan 2, 2008.

1. Mav

Mav TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    On a budget of $500 I'd get a....

- refurbished D50 body-only for $399, which has a 90-day Nikon warranty. These are good as new and know of a few people that have gotten them to know that. I didn't see any at B&H or Adorama listed (must have sold out for the Christmas) but keep your eye out.

- For $100 new or less than that used or refurbished, get the 18-55 kit lens. It's not a 1:1 micro lens, but at 1:3.2 it's the closest focusing DX lens that Nikon makes and great all around to get you started. It's not a fast lens though, and not very good for portraits either, so eventually you'll want something else. So when you get some more money saved up....

- For $100 new or less used, get the "nifty fifty" 50mm f/1.8D lens. Maximum reproduction ratio on this is 1:6.6 which isn't very close at all, but it's great for portraits, and you can turn it into a micro lens with a close-up adapter or extension tubes for less than $100. I think a Kenko 12mm extension tube is like $45 or something.

- If you're really serious about close-up photography, forget the nifty fifty and just save up for a new or used Nikon 55 or 60mm f/2.8 micro lens for $200-300 new/used. These will give you in-lens 1:1 micro capability with no special adapters, tubes, or other BS. If you can find a Tamron 90mm f/2.8 macro lens for cheap, get it. It also does 1:1 but gives you a lot more working distance than the 50-60mm micro lenses will. You can also use these lenses as portrait lenses.

You'll also eventually want to get a half decent tripod, so budget about $100 for that too. BTW I'm using micro and macro interchangeably. Different manufacturers call them different things and I always get them confused. :D

There's also no such thing as an 18-70mm f/2, but man that would be sweet :D, but also super heavy and absurdly expensive. Large aperture zoom lenses require A LOT of very expensive glass. For reference the Nikkor 17-55DX f/2.8 is $1200 and weighs 1.6 lbs (755g). The 18-55DX f/3.5-5.6 weighs almost nothing in comparison at 0.45 lbs (205g). Extrapolating, it's easy to see why something with more range than the 17-55 f/2.8 and a faster f/2 aperture would not be a usable lens, at least in terms of economics and weight. It'd be too expensive to buy and too heavy to carry. Fixed focal length lenses are what give you the large apertures and speed at reasonable costs and weight, but you have to forego lens zoom and use "foot" zoom instead. :)

2. Mav

Mav TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Why are disclaimers needed about KR on a perfectly fair comparison of the D70 and 20D? I think Ken's site is a great resource, so long as you consider your own shooting style and needs which might not be in sync with his. He says to do this right in his About pages.

3. photogincollege

photogincollege TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Well I think why so many people have a problem with him (correct me if im wrong) is that he tends to state his opinion as fact. I could be wrong but i believe thats most peoples problem.

4. Mav

Mav TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Maybe, but then nobody is reading his about pages because it's pretty clearly stated over and over again that the whole site is his personal opinion based on his personal style of photography and what has worked well for him. I like a lot of what's on his site and the articles, but since my style is different I end up taking very little of his advice. But I still love his site and read it almost daily, along with all of the reviews.

Maybe it's something else.

5. Mike_E

Mike_E No longer a newbie, moving up!

The Upper West Side of Mississippi (you have no i
    Photos OK to edit
    That's because they are factually his opinions. ;)

6. kenmasters

kenmasters TPF Noob!

Thank you all for your suggestions. It's been very helpful. Right now, it all comes down to price, so I have to find a good deal somewhere.

Does anyone have a resource or link to understand everything I need to know about lenses ?

7. itoncool

itoncool TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

KR, controversy... Why? Because some people just don't like how he state some of his recommendation based on assumption, not his real field test, and he put that on his site.
    I don't blame them but I don't have any problem with the site either, I don't read it much but some of his review is still good. You need to pick them wisely.